Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the advantage of SSL

Hi I was looking to get a usenet subscription. Some accounts offer SSL and some don't. I was wondering what is the advantage of having SSL?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Security.

it encrypts your traffic between your usenet provider and your computer so no nosy ISPs or anyone else will see what you're upto.

It also apparently, "helps you not get shaped".

But really, it's a security thing.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    pikwun's Avatar n00b
    Also another go way to explain it is that the only people that know what you are downloading are yourself and your usenet provider (they don't care though and only keep track of how much you download so they can predict how much to lease the next month). Your ISP's will only see that you are downloading A LOT of stuff from your usenet provider but that's it, just that you are using ALL of their bandwidth--they hate that.

It is very valuable. The downside is that your provider can also throttle those two SSL ports and limit your bandwidth (if they want too).

Good luck.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by pikwun View Post
    Also another go way to explain it is that the only people that know what you are downloading are yourself and your usenet provider (they don't care though and only keep track of how much you download so they can predict how much to lease the next month). Your ISP's will only see that you are downloading A LOT of stuff from your usenet provider but that's it, just that you are using ALL of their bandwidth--they hate that.

It is very valuable. The downside is that your provider can also throttle those two SSL ports and limit your bandwidth (if they want too).

Good luck.
    I just started using Newsgroups last week and I'm having to hold myself back from using so much bandwidth. I'm afraid that AT&T will give me a call or letter, saying that they are gonna cap my ass.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Got AT&T, I'm at the bottom feeder point because I'm so far out in the woods, but haven't got a letter yet, plus mine is Unlimited, they have Unlimited plans for $20 a month.

As said above, SSL keeps you from getting shaped, it also, keeps your ISP's off of you, if they want to be ass's, they will just throttle the SSL port, although Astraweb has 2 different ports.

Astraweb doens't care how much you download it's $11 a month UNLIMITED...

Remember people, people are not getting busted for downloading, they are looking for UPLOADERS....so if you upload alot, grab a seperate block account, they never expire, and uploads don't count as traffic.

if you upload, I would suggest SSL https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gui...ections-337101
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 09-14-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    [center]

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    Got AT&T, I'm at the bottom feeder point because I'm so far out in the woods, but haven't got a letter yet, plus mine is Unlimited, they have Unlimited plans for $20 a month.

As said above, SSL keeps you from getting shaped, it also, keeps your ISP's off of you, if they want to be ass's, they will just throttle the SSL port, although Astraweb has 2 different ports.

Astraweb doens't care how much you download it's $11 a month UNLIMITED...

Remember people, people are not getting busted for downloading, they are looking for UPLOADERS....so if you upload alot, grab a seperate block account, they never expire, and uploads don't count as traffic.

if you upload, I would suggest SSL https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gui...ections-337101
    I don't seed at all, I know that's how you get "caught". However, I checked my AT&T email account for the first time today (had the account for over a year) and found a warning letter for downloading a movie via BT.

Also, I found that in my area, there is a 80GB/month limit! Ouch . .

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Due they charge you after that? Or just cut you off?

You should email them and see if they have the unlimited plan in your area.
    [center]

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Due they charge you after that? Or just cut you off?

You should email them and see if they have the unlimited plan in your area.
    Actually nothing happened. I did call AT&T and ask about bandwidth limits. They told me that my account had unlimited usage!

But I'll still stay low. I'd hate to get a call or letter of hate since I've downloaded over 50GB in a week lol.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Doesn't really matter if your using Usenet and SSL, they won't have a clue. I mean as long as you don't do it during peak hours or peak usage on their network.
    [center]

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Doesn't really matter if your using Usenet and SSL, they won't have a clue. I mean as long as you don't do it during peak hours or peak usage on their network.
    I totally agree, I guess I'm just a little paranoid.

I may just have to do my downloading overnight and spread things out to keep it on "da low".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast