Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Xirvik trial review

I've had my seedbox from Xirvik active for about a week now (the least expensive dedicated one, located in France, so based out of OVH France. The setup time took slightly longer than advertised (it was ready in about 26 hours), but I consider this pretty good, considering I ordered it at midnight on a Sunday.

The account activation email is full of good information to get a person started. There is a useful link to various tutorials that Xirvik provides to people new to seedboxes (I'm fairly new, but have learned quite a bit through research, trial and error.). The url you connect to is accessed via a name and password, and takes place on a secure URL. The main page tells you everything about what your dedicated server is capable of doing, and the pros and cons of the various options available (when there is redundancy). I'd gotten used to rutorrent before joining Xirvik, so I was happy to see that it was their recommended rtorrent client web interface. It's by far better than any other interface I've tried, and I've tried them all! Xirvik installs all the plugins, so you'll find a fully-featured WebUI that gives you all the control you would want over your torrents.

I've had no problems connecting and using my seedbox since it was set up. The speeds are as expected for 100MBit, hitting 10MB/sec both up and down without any difficulty. Setting ratios is very simple, if needed, but most of the time I just let them run and come back a day or two later to find whatever torrent I'm running very well-seeded. I download using Filezilla with FTPES security, and it's plenty fast, but not quite as streamlined as an SFTP connection, which is what I was used to. FTPES has much more dialogue and takes a bit longer to get started, but it transfers without incident once it gets going.

I think most will find the people at Xirvik are professional and knowledgeable. They will answer any questions you might have about their services, and even offer advice regarding competitive services and how their service would compare. They even recommended I stay with my former provider as long as the service was good, because they felt the price I was getting was very competitive for what I had purchased.

If the quality of my seedbox and the service Xirvik provides remains consistent, I can see myself using their services on a regular basis.

-z

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    i'm just register today SHARED SEEDBOXES 75 GB

wait for set-up :-D

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I payed for SEMIDEDI EXTRALARGE almost 32 hours ago and still no responce i hope soon to get login info.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    RAZ-R get in touch with us to track down your order... will be a lot more efficient than posting here :-)

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    just wanted to know if these seedboxes have rar/unrar built into them and will i get full root access so that i can install other php scripts
    Last edited by surya_neo; 12-07-2009 at 02:43 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by surya_neo View Post
    just wanted to know if these seedboxes have rar/unrar built into them and will i get full root access so that i can install other php scripts
    I think they dont have rar/unrar built and i think you dont get full root access

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ-R View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by surya_neo View Post
    I think they dont have rar/unrar built and i think you dont get full root access
    unrar is available and you get root access if you install things yourself.

We don't give root access to preconfigured seedboxes. We would be all day long fixing stuff, people touch every possible setting for no reason and don't even bother to write down the original value :-)

Not giving root is in the benefit of most users.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    What about root access for semi-dedicated servers?
    Last edited by pone44; 12-10-2009 at 12:57 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by pone44 View Post
    What about root access for semi-dedicated servers?
    Not possible. A semidedi has 3 users and I'm sure the other 2 would complain if they knew someone had access to their data :-)

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    anibanani
    Edit: seems to be sorted out
    Last edited by anibanani; 01-06-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast