Thread: Earthlink and Giganews partnership?

Question Mark

I have Earthlink DSL & currently use 'news.east.earthlink.net' as my main usenet server address with one of my 8 EL e-mail address/password. From my understanding in the past, Earthlink wound up outsourcing Supernews for their usenet service (in 2007). But then Giganews bought Supernews.

However, I am still only receiving retention levels of about 140 days on news.east.earthlink.net. So I am assuming I am still somehow accessing the SUpernews servers. I have read some other posts elsewhere and get the impression that I might be able to use Giganews servers with my EL e-mail address. And therefore possibly get better retention rates that Giganews offers. Is this possible? I tried news.giganews.com with my EL e-mail & it didn't work. Is there possibly another server address to use with Giganews & EL e-mail? If so, what? Anybody aware of this situation?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Why don't you just email Earthlink and Giganews?

We don't work for them, so it's higly un likely anyone knows.

Also, I may be wrong, but I think all US ISP's are shutting down there Usenet access by the end of the year.
    [center]

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Not all. But quite a few. I think Cox will be the only major one left that will still provide usenet access.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by cola View Post
    Not all. But quite a few. I think Cox will be the only major one left that will still provide usenet access.
    Wouldn't hold your breath...

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Oh also Qwest still has access. Its all outsourced anyways.