Thread: Xp Restarts When I Do Certain Tasks

Hey guys.

I have windows XP, fully updated with all patches etc.

So far i have found two tasks that crash my pc, and instantly restarts it. It's not like restarting the normal way, the screen goes blank, the power off right away, then windows loads normally, without saying anything like "your pc did not shut down properly.

The two tasks that do it are when i use the Clear All function in Audio Record Wizard, and when i press the button on Media Player Classic to slow down the speed of the movie file. I can live without both these functions, but i'm worried that some day i'm doing an important task and another thing triggers the same response.

I got a new hard-drive and re-installed windows on it, the problem has been present since. There are no bad sectors etc on the drive. The only other change is that i have reverted back to my onboard Intel Graphics instead of the PCI card i was using previously (the fan got too noisy).

Is it likely to be related to the graphics setup?

Any replies are welcome. If you need any specifics just ask.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    press ctrl-break then go to the advanced tab, goto the startup and recovery settings and make sure automatically restart isn't checked

hopefully that will stop it restarting when it hangs - you should then try reverting your graphics setup to see if you get the same problem
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    That should be: Press Windowskey+Pause/Break ...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ok, i was smart for once and decided to check the event viewer. i've traced the problem to the Intel Application Accelerator. I had it installed before with no problems. I might try a re-install? or just leave it off i think. it did seem to speed things up though.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Are your drivers up to date for Intel® Application Accelerator ??
    I had a similar problem a few months ago.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@5 October 2003 - 15:54
    d'oh
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by DarthInsinuate+5 October 2003 - 16:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DarthInsinuate @ 5 October 2003 - 16:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@5 October 2003 - 15:54
    d&#39;oh [/b][/quote]
    hummm. Are you sure ?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    That reminds me....I haven&#39;t installed the App Accellerator since I reformatted.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by Wizzandabe+5 October 2003 - 20:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wizzandabe @ 5 October 2003 - 20:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@5 October 2003 - 16:17
    <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234
    @5 October 2003 - 15:54

d&#39;oh
    hummm. Are you sure ? [/b][/quote]
    Yes I&#39;m sure. Press and hold the Windows symbol key and then press the Pause/Break key. There will be a System Properties window that pops-up. You then click the &#39;Advanced tab. Startup and Recovery settings are there.