Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 30 Australian Must Have Albums

Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Ok the next set of 5 albums in the top 30 Australian Albums of the decade is here...Im glad i've got positive feedback from all of this and a lot of downloading of Australian music...so keep it coming...anyways without further ado...the next 5...

11. Jebediah - Slightly Odway

Released: 1998

Genre: Rock/Indie

Track Listings
    1. Leaving Home
    2. Benedict
    3. Harpoon
    4. Jerks Of Attention
    5. Invaders
    6. Spoil the Show
    7. Blame
    8. Puckdefender
    9. Lino
    10. Military Strongmen
    11. Teflon
    12. Twilight = Dusk
    13. La Di Da Da

Standout Tracks
    * Leaving Home
    * Harpoon
    * Military Strongmen

Score: 4/5

Review: Jebediah were the band that headed the Australian Indie scene this past decade...and this debut album was their greatest piece of work...With an aussie teen anthem *Leaving Home*...a slow sad number *Harpoon* and fun songs like *Teflon*...this album was perfectly balanced...The vocals of kev have been loved or mocked *sometimes it sounds like he has pegged his nose while singing*...but it really goes with the sound of the band...and this was a favourite amongst the Australian teens...With follow up albums *Of Someday Shambles* and *Jebediah (S/T)*...they are still going strong and still continue to grow...

Jerk - When Pure Is Defiled

Released: 2003

Genre: Industrial/Metal

Track Listings
    1. just what you need
    2. love your drugs
    3. i hate people like that
    4. my friends all lie
    5. injection of you
    6. disintergrating
    7. Killing me killing you
    8. sucked in
    9. say it
    10. wrong
    11. entertained
    12. blow it all away

Standout Tracks
    * love your drugs
    * injection of you
    * say it

Score: 4.5/5

Review: Jerk have now become Australia's premier metal band...after being lost and not being able to get a record deal for ages and having to release self-funded ep's...They finally landed that record deal and released their debut album this year...produced by the producer of marilyn manson and nine inch nails...you can easily tell who their influences are...And reading their biography *this is a dream come true*...this year they have supported the australian tours of *ICP* and *Marliyn Manson* aswell as numerous other tours...This album is complete from start to finish...A superb blend of both industrial and metal...this album will stand the test of time and is definately the best Australian metal release this past decade...

John Butler Trio - Three

Released: 2002

Genre: Folk/Rock

Track Listings
    1. Betterman
    2. Attitude
    3. Pickapart
    4. Money
    5. Believe
    6. Media
    7. Earthbound Child
    8. Take
    9. Life Aint What Is Seems

Standout Tracks
    * Betterman
    * Pickapart
    * Believe

Score: 3.5/5

Review: These folk rockers have taken Australia by storm...with a sold out national tour this year and a platinum live CD...these guys are easily one of the best Australian live acts...This album is a studio album though and is a nice piece of work...it seems like these guys belonged at the original woodstock...They sound ben harperish and have gotten his stamp of approval after the last blues and roots festival...They are just brilliant and are already getting recognition overseas...Definately worth a listen too...and i know what you guys in soulseek like...and this will grab your attention...

Machine Gun Fellatio - Paging Mr. Strike

Released: 2002

Genre: (Everything rolled into one)

Track Listings
    1. All Of Them Ladies
    2. Pussy Town
    3. Take It Slow
    4. Rollercoaster
    5. Line Of Silver
    6. Wot U Got
    7. Amourous
    8. My Ex-Girlfriend's Boyfriend
    9. Mouth
    10. Mirrorballs Starting To Rock Mk Ii
    11. Full Moon
    12. Girl Of My Dreams Is Giving Me Nightmares
    13. Chase The Dragon
    14. (Let Me Be Your) Dirty Fucking Whore
    15. Just B'coz

Standout Tracks
    * Pussy Town
    * My Ex-Girlfriend's Boyfriend
    * Girl Of My Dreams Is Giving Me Nightmares

Score: 4.5/5

Review: These guys n gurls are the funnest bunch of people who love to play music in Australia...They through everything into their music...and not to mention their over the top live shows...Combining Rock/Dance/Disco/Acoustic/Comedy And everything else...these guys n gurls are just multi-talented...One of the most unusual acts in Australia today...They have gotten a big name for themselves in Australia and are now hitting the UK and USA for tours and releases...and i highly advise you to catch their shows if they come anywhere near you...The album just has eveything you could want....

Magic Dirt - What Are Rock Stars Doing Today

Released: 2000

Genre: Indie/Rock

Track Listings
    1. City Trash
    2. Tennage Vampire
    3. Dirty Jeans
    4. Pace It
    5. Competition Girl
    6. Nightingale
    7. Rockstars
    8. Come On The Scene
    9. Supagloo
    10. For A Second
    11. Smoulder

Standout Tracks
    * City Trash
    * Dirty Jeans
    * Pace It

Score: 3.5/5

Review: Being one of Australia's biggest indie secrets in the 90's...they finally broke through in 2000 with easily their best piece of work...This album was more rock then their previous releases and it worked wonders for them...This album even had top 50 singles aswell which is amazing for an underground band...Even though this album had really good songs on it...they lack in making a complete album...theres a few songs that i just don't like in there...But it still holds together nicely and is worth a listen if your into indie/rock...nothing that special but still a good album none the less...

Next 5 will hopefully be up later tonight...Hope you enjoy and find some more music that you like...have fun...

Laters
    Cely

2. Music   -   #12
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    Celerystalksme - Thank you for the excellent write-ups. Your effort shows and is greatly appreciated. I've enjoyed reading each and every review, and look forward to hearing many of the albums you have mentioned here.

If anyone reads anything here in the forum in which the member is bashing or bad-mouthing Musicworld by saying it no longer has relevant posts, send them a link to this topic - it will leave the accuser speechless, really. This is Musicworld at its best! Read it and weap, (insert prefix here)world.

15 to go, huh? I can't wait! Keep 'em coming, please. You have expanded my music world, and for that I say 'Thanks'.

10 Paws out of 10 for Celerystalksme's topic and continued efforts.

Tchau!
    CrumbCat

This reply (or lack thereof) has been brought to you as a courtesy of CrumbCat.
    © Copyright 2003 by CrumbCat, all rights reserved.

3. Music   -   #13
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    yes there has ben alot of MW bashing latley

and cat good to see the old avartar back

4. Music   -   #14
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    ---

5. Music   -   #15
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Adster@8 October 2003 - 03:23
    yes there has ben alot of MW bashing latley
    There has?

I will have all 30 one Day.Keep up the Good Work Celery.

6. Music   -   #16
    Proffesional Dumbass
    The Vines- Highly Evolved

released- 2002
    genre- garage band

Track Listings
    1. Highly Evolved
    2. Autum Shade
    3. Outtathaway
    4. Sunshinin
    5. Homesick
    6. Get Free
    7. Country Yard
    8. Factory
    9. In The Jungle
    10. Mary Jane
    11. Aint No Room
    12. 1969

score 7/10

Website http://www.thevines.com/

7. Music   -   #17
    Ella's Avatar Upside down
    Good job Cely...when you say the past decade do you mean 1993-2003 or the 1990's?

I love that George CD...Katie Noonan has one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard.... B)
    Up Yours! Love from The Club....

8. Music   -   #18
    Originally posted by Ella@9 October 2003 - 21:47
    Good job Cely...when you say the past decade do you mean 1993-2003 or the 1990's?

I love that George CD...Katie Noonan has one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard.... B)
    thank you ella...and i mean from 1993 - 2003...

yes george - polyserena is one of my favourite CD's of all time...

one of my best friends is a singer and she actually sings the song *release* better than katie noonan...*with that long high note*...maybe because i hear my friend sing it live and haven't heard katie sing it live yet...but none the less katie's voice is absolutely amazing...

and yeah im sort of not feeling like shit now...but i still can't find the energy to sit down and write out decent reviews...

9. Music   -   #19
    Ella's Avatar Upside down
    Well I'm glad....I like most of your pics...not all...but you have a really diverse selection.

Actually, I went back through my CDs and it would appear I really do not have that much recent Aus music at all, except for George and a few others. I went through a long period of not obsessing over music and laid low. Most is older Aus music from the late 80's, early 90's...but I thought 'Honeymoon Is Over' by The Cruel Sea would be one of the finest. I love everything these guys do...they are just brilliant. Dan Brodie and The Broken Arrows are also pretty good, and Ed Kuepper is just one of our undiscovered geniuses.

Have you heard that 'Elixir' stuff that Katie Noonan does?
    Up Yours! Love from The Club....

10. Music   -   #20
    Originally posted by Ella@9 October 2003 - 22:06
    I thought 'Honeymoon Is Over' by The Cruel Sea would be one of the finest.

Have you heard that 'Elixir' stuff that Katie Noonan does?
    The cruel sea is great..tex perkins is a true aussie...and he sings what Australia is all about and i have their greatest hits CD...I met him once in a pub last year...he's a great bloke...

And yes i have Elixir's CD and i think its really great aswell...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast