Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Top 30 Australian Must Have Albums

Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Originally posted by Ella+11 October 2003 - 07:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ella @ 11 October 2003 - 07:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dom01@11 October 2003 - 01:48
    id add powderfinger: odyssey number five to the list
    Absolutely - the best &#39;Finger album so far. Although I suspect Cely may include that in his list when he returns from slaughtering 12 year olds.... [/b][/quote]
    actually i wasn&#39;t slaying 12 year olds at all last night...i was drunk and depressed...but ya get that...anyways the next lot of 5...will be up in 3 minutes...i just gotta do the last review and then i will post it up...until then have fun...

2. Music   -   #42
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Hey guys...i know this was a long time coming...but it is finally here...the next 5 in the list...now its only 10 to go and hope you have enjoyed so far...Anyways i&#39;ll let you get on with reading these next 5 reviews of great Australian albums from the past decade...

16. Motor Ace - Shoot This

Released: 2002

Genre: Pop/Rock

Track Listings
    1. Carry On
    2. Opportunity
    3. Pieces
    4. Feathers
    5. Keeping Secrets
    6. Ride The Wave
    7. Shoot This
    8. For Yourself
    9. Where Did You Go
    10. When The Day Falls
    11. When The Feelings Gone

Standout Tracks
    * Carry On
    * Opportunity
    * Keeping Secrets

Score: 4/5

Review: Motor Ace is another triple J (Australian Radio Station) rock/indie band find...Althogh they were one of the last bands of that style...They still know how to make a good album and some really catchy songs...The 3 singles off this album
    were absolutely amazing...*Carry On*, *Pieces* and *Keeping Secrets*...This was motor ace&#39;s 2nd and latest album...their debut album *five star laundry* was still really good...but this album took it one step further...There are a couple of
    fillers on this album, which isn&#39;t unusual...but overall it has a nice softish rock sound to it and is definately worth listening to...

17. Natalie Imbruglia - Left Of The Middle

Released: 1998

Genre: Pop

Track Listings
    1. Torn
    2. One More Addiction
    3. Big Mistake
    4. Leave Me Alone
    5. Wishing I Was There
    6. Smoke
    7. Pigeons And Crumbs
    8. Don&#39;t You Think?
    9. Impressed
    10. Intuition
    11. City
    12. Left Of The Middle

Standout Tracks
    * Torn
    * Big Mistake
    * Wishing I Was There

Score: 3.5/5

Review: Natalie was one of the people who used the local Australian soap *Neighbours* to gain popularity and turn it into much more...a decade after Kylie first did it...Natalie was the next big thing...And she did not dissapoint...With the album going no1 on the charts and having one of the highest selling singles by an Australian artist of all time with *Torn*...it was followed up by another 2 huge singles *big mistake* and *wishing I was there*...Her voice quite distinct and having something different then all the popstars at the time...*the sound was a little bit more harder and less dance (which was big at the time)*...which work to her advantage...her follow up album was nowhere near as good...but this album has stood the test of time and one of a very few pop albums in my collection...

P.S. I know the site is UK...but she still is an Australian and was living in Australia at the time of this album...it was just after this she moved to UK and put out a shit next album (the UK loves our leftover talent like kylie and danni aswell)...

18. Paulmac - 3000 Feet High

Released: 2001

Genre: Dance

Track Listings
    1. Above The Clouds
    2. Just The Thing
    3. See You Much Later
    4. Sound Of Breaking Up
    5. Gonna Miss You
    6. Heatseeking Pleasure Machine
    7. Set You Free
    8. Stay
    9. Post Jesus
    10. Everywhere I Go
    11. Rave Goodbye
    12. Disconnected

Standout Tracks
    * Just The Thing
    * Sound Of Breaking Up
    * Everywhere I Go

Review: Paulmac has to best Australian maker of dance music...and also one of the best sound engineers and someone i look upto in that regard...he was a classically trained graduate of Sydney&#39;s Conservatorium (Australia&#39;s biggest
    conservatorium)...He has worked with all the big names in Australian music (including grinspoon, silverchair and INXS)...This album being the first of his own creations...with some of Australia&#39;s top singers lending a hand including *Tex Perkins from The Cruel Sea* and *Abby Dobson from Leonardo&#39;s Bride*...This album contained the best dance track of the year *Just The Thing* and a dance track i quite enjoyed *a miracle*...This album will make you get up and dance aswell as soothing you as you sit back and chill out...A nice mix of songs by Paulmac...Even if this is not your cup of tea...you will see how good a sound engineer he is if you listen to silverchair&#39;s *neon ballroom* or grinspoon&#39;s *easy*...

19. Powderfinger - Doubleallergic

Released: 1996

Genre: Rock

Track Listings
    1. Skinny Jean
    2. Turtles Head
    3. Pick you Up
    4. D.A.F.
    5. Boing Boing
    6. Give
    7. Oipic
    8. Living Type
    9. jc
    10. Glimpse
    11. Take Me In
    12. (Return Of) The Electric Horsman

Standout Tracks
    * Pick you Up
    * D.A.F.
    * Living Type

Score: 4.5/5

Review: Well what hasn&#39;t been said about powderfinger...these guys are responsible for bringing forward Australian music even further...While people will say it was their album *Internationalist* or *Odyssey Number Five* that made it for them...I believe it is their album before that (their 2nd Album) Doubleallergic that showed their potential the most...With one of my favourite songs of all time *Living Type*...This is where these guys started to grow, their talent was easily spotted and has continued to grow after this album...With their straight forward rock music...they managed to have so many great songs on this album, with variations between soft and hard rock they really made this genre their own in Australia...A great album from a great band and a must listen aswell...

20. Regurgitator - Unit

Released: 1997

Genre: Pop/Rock/Dance

Track Listings
    1. I Like Your Old Stuff Better Than Your New Stuff
    2. Everyday Formula
    3. &#33; (The Song Formerly Kown As)
    4. Black Bugs
    5. The World Of Sleaze
    6. I Piss Alone
    7. Unit
    8. I Will Lick Your Asshole
    9. Modern Life
    10. Polyester Girl
    11. 1234
    12. Mr. T
    13. Just Another Beautiful Story

Standout Tracks
    * Black Bugs
    * The World Of Sleaze
    * Modern Life

Review: Regurgitator is the mainstream controversy band in Australia...with an R18+ rating for this album (i still got it even though i was 13 at the time...The band is a 3 piece out of my hometown *brisbane*...their music has a nice balnce or rock, pop and dance...most of all their music is fun and some of their songs can bring a smile to your face while your feeling your lowest (especially *The World Of Sleaze*)...The scary thing is kids still wanted this album because of the few
    *singles* off this album...but the other songs had a bit to much bad language to keep it below R18+ (something i&#39;ve always been planning to do...just to f*ck over the Australian Music Industry)...But i advise you get this album even though the
    music is pretty simple...its still a brilliant album and one that continues to play in my stereo still after 6 years...

The next 5 will up sometime in the next 3 days...depending on what happens to me over that period...anyways hope you guys like reading these...and hope you like the music i am reviewing...

Laters
    Cely

3. Music   -   #43
    Ella's Avatar Upside down
    Nice work, Cely, although we&#39;ll have to agree to disagree on &#39;Double Allergic&#39;....and the &#39;Gurge....love those guys&#33;&#33; Them and Custard - proving music can still be plain silly yet amazingly great.

Look forward to the next lot....Ella..xxx
    Up Yours! Love from The Club....

4. Music   -   #44
    ----

5. Music   -   #45
    Ella's Avatar Upside down
    Nice picks by Whitlams and TISM, Cely....what cheeky wankers TISM they are, hey??? (and butt ugly but that&#39;s another story entirely.... )
    Up Yours! Love from The Club....

6. Music   -   #46
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I like all those albums but Paul Mac not the biggest fan Double Alergic I agree with it was robbed for award that damm Savage Garden took it all out it was a very under rated album

7. Music   -   #47
    Heya guys n gurls...sorry for it taking so long...well here is the 2nd last set of 5 albums...With reviews and all...Im sorry for putting the last 10 up with no reviews...it was just a mood i was in...so to make up for it...here it is...

21. Silverchair - Frogstomp

Released: 1995

Genre: Grunge/Rock

Track Listings
    1. Israel&#39;s Son
    2. Tomorrow
    3. Faultline
    4. Pure Massacre
    5. Shade
    6. Leave Me Out
    7. Suicidal Dream
    8. Madman
    9. Undecided
    10. Cicada
    11. Findaway

Standout Songs
    * Tomorrow
    * Pure Massacre
    * Suicidal Dream

Review: Silverchair is one of the most recognisable bands Australia has produced...Silverchair beginning as those 14 year olds from newcaslte who broke through thanks to triple j *Australia&#39;s Best National Radio Station*...Their single *tomorrow* reaching no1 on Australian charts with ease and being the anthem of 1995...This album was also an instant no1 on the australian charts...and produced an album that teenagers of the time needed (i was only 11 at the time...but already into nirvana and the offspring)...In most people&#39;s opinions...this album could never be topped by silverchair let alone any other band...with hard crunching numbers *Israeli&#39;s Son* and *Pure Massacre* aswell as the absolutely beautiful and often acousticly played *suicidal dream*...This album had it all...and is up their in all time greats...

22. Something For Kate - Beautiful Sharks

Released: 1999

Genre: Soft Rock/Pop

Track Listings
    1. Whatever You Want
    2. Hallways
    3. Beautiful Sharks
    4. Electricity
    5. Big Screen Television
    6. The Astronaut
    7. Easy
    8. Instrumental
    9. Slowdance
    10. Before Butterfly&#39;s Wings
    11. Anchorman
    12. Back To You

Standout Songs
    * Whatever You Want
    * Electricity
    * The Astronaut

Review: Something for kate is a nice little 3 piece who play wonderful soft rock...They stayed in the Australian underground for a while..until triple j once again rescued an Aussie band from oblivion...And they have repayed them greatfully for the support...This album was their second album and greatly approved upon their first effort...with songs such as *electricity* and *Whatever You Want* being heard all over Australia...the band finally got all the support they deserved...They are a great live band aswell and i might be seeing them in 2 days if i have the money...this band is well worth a listen...

23. Spiderbait - Ivy And The Big Apples

Released: 1996

Genre: Indie/Pop

Track Listings
    1. Chest Hair
    2. Hot Water And Milk
    3. Buy Me A Pony
    4. When Fusion Ruled The Earth
    5. Calypso
    6. Goin Off
    7. Dont Kill Nipper
    8. Horschack Army
    9. Conjuctivitis
    10. Joyces Hut
    11. Jasper
    12. Goosh
    13. Should Have Done What My Mum Always Told Me To
    14. Hey
    15. Hawaiian Nights
    16. Driving Up The Ceiling

Standout Songs
    * Buy Me A Pony
    * Calypso
    * Should Have Done What My Mum Always Told Me To

Review: This band is the undisputed Australian king of indie music...They put indie music on the map in this country and help it to stay there for a long time...A 3 piece who know how to play to a crowd, have fun and make great music...This album was the middle in their career and also the greatest point in their career...The song *Calypso* will be long remembered by all of those who have heard it...(it was one of the most catchiest songs ever)...With other great songs such as *Buy Me A Pony* (Also very catchy) and *Should Of Done What My Mum Always Told Me To*...the band kept this album together...And is always great to have a listen to...

24. Sunk Loto - Big Picture Lies

Released:

Genre: Rock/Metal

Track Listings
    1. Shiver
    2. Make You Feel
    3. Sunken Eyes
    4. Cured
    5. Spherical Hostage
    6. Empty Days
    7. 11
    8. Human Ashtray
    9. Primitive
    10. Big Picture Lies
    11. Goodbye Tonight

Standout Songs
    * Make You Feel
    * Sunken Eyes
    * Human Ashtray

Review: Another teenage band to make it in Australia...I actually know a couple of the guys in this band and have been big fans of them ever since we were in high school...winning the local bands competitions...and eventually making it to triple j...these guys have had all the breaks *which are hard to come by in the Australian music scene*...With tracks from the ablum such as *sunken eyes* and *make you feel* it was easy to tell these guys are gonna breakthrough...with a new single just out and an album in the coming months...these guys look like an exiciting prospect...This album is really heavy and will have you jumping up and down and all around...a very nice piece of work and a good all round album especially for a debut...

25. Superheist - Identical Remote Controlled Reactions

Released: 2002

Genre: Rock/Metal

Track Listings
    1. Liberate
    2. Empire
    3. False Idols
    4. 7 Years
    5. (New Culture)
    6. Scars
    7. A Dignified Rage
    8. Will the Change
    9. Dear Enemy
    10. Beaming Down from Satellites
    11. (Sugarloaf Hill)
    12. 2 Die 4
    13. Drilling the Void
    14. (El Ladonigro)
    15. The Karma Division
    16. Neverend
    17. Torniquet for a Broken Planet

Standout Songs
    * 7 Years
    * A Dignified Rage
    * The Karma Division

Review: Superheist has turned themselves into a very nice rock/metal band...after dabbing into nu-metal (in some songs they still do)...Their latestest album *Identical Remote Controlled Reactions* has proven they are a class act...Their earlier albums well still really really good (especially their debut EP *Eight Mile High*)...This album with a new vocalist has changed Superheist...they have a more mature sound and have really grown as a band...with standout songs *7 Years* and *A Dignified Rage*...these guys know how to play...These guys have almost broke into the international market and it will be well deserved...a great album...

There you go...will post the last 5 soon enough...Hope your enjoying them...and keep on getting that Australian Music...

Laters
    Cely

8. Music   -   #48
    yeah I must get that something for Kate album

I don teven have that one yet alos sunk Loto nice an d funky

I think I was 13 when Tomorrow came out off frogstomp and I saw it reach no 1 watchign Rage on morning. someone then told me hey thease guys are only 14&#33; i wa like wtf??

9. Music   -   #49
    bump &#39;to drop from falling to the 3rd page

10. Music   -   #50
    Thanks for that Ad...and tomorrow i think i will finish this off...and it will be my 4000th post on these forums...So i may aswell kill 2 birds with 1 stone...Have a fun day/night guys n gurls...and you&#39;ll next hear from me either if im on soulseek later or on here tomorrow...

Laters
    Cely

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast