Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GeForce GTX 275

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Dunno how it is where you are, but the price difference between a gtx 275 and a HD 5850 is only 20-25% atm here.

If I weren't like the only person in the world who actually likes physx, I'd go for a 5850 without hesitation. A 4890 over a 275, not so much.

EDit: I should note that I'm considering getting a pair of 275s (either the msi twin frozr OC, or a couple of gainward gs), if the prices drop a bit lower. I've a hard time justifying it at present, though, given the cost of the 5850.
    Last edited by Snee; 10-03-2009 at 11:40 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    PlayeR's Avatar (•̃͡-̮•̃͡) BT Rep: +5
    so which one do you decide to buy?..if it was me, i would just get 4890..but if you are into folding and physx, then get GTX275..it is so recommended for folding...

if you dont really need a new card right now, wait for nvidia to release their new cards to compete with Ati 5850 5890..im sure there will be big price drop..

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'm thinking I'll set my sights lower and get this :

http://www.alinx.ca/itemdetail.asp?ItemID=11486

I will probably buy a new computer next year and think that will do me for now . ( Wife is ragging me ) Sounds like it has good cooling , 2 gb of DDR5 memory . I like the store and they have been good to me and friends so maybe I'll get a OEM , minus drivers , box etc or maybe a return ?

I'm sure I'll get a deal some how .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    What about a 5770? I just ordered two of those (the asus voltage tweak edition thingies) to play around with for a few months.

Performs a bit below a 4890 (cost less too) looking at current benchmarks, but I'd wager they improve with better drivers, and they come with dx11 support.

Two of them in CF seems to be able to compete with a single 5870, whilst costing less atm, which is nice. (I'm just gonna run a 9600gso or a gts 250 for physx, and pray that Nvidia don't figure out how to bugger up the driver hack for that for good)
    Last edited by Snee; 10-14-2009 at 05:22 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Takoom's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    What about a 5770? I just ordered two of those (the asus voltage tweak edition thingies) to play around with for a few months.

Performs a bit below a 4890 (cost less too) looking at current benchmarks, but I'd wager they improve with better drivers, and they come with dx11 support.

Two of them in CF seems to be able to compete with a single 5870, whilst costing less atm, which is nice. (I'm just gonna run a 9600gso or a gts 250 for physx, and pray that Nvidia don't figure out how to bugger up the driver hack for that for good)
    i don't agree more

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Just installed my Radeon HD4890 today , what a gong show . I thought I had a good size case ( Antec 900) but had a hell of a time moving cables , power wires around to fit it in . Does it have to be so big ?

Takes up two spots which I understand for cooling and what not , but the power plugs are on the front of the fucking thing so you have to be a chimp to hold the flash light , wires and hdd cables and insert in the pci slot .

Next time I remove the PSU first instead of every other cable then pray that it still boots . I did n't know that you have to use both power plugs . Fuck me , took me two hours to figure that out .
    Last edited by peat moss; 10-17-2009 at 06:23 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    I hope that card was hella cheap is all I'm saying.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    No made me pay full price ,the buggers . $ 269.00 . Havn't played a game yet just playing around with Win7 themes and do notice quite a difference , colours seem quite vivid . Either that or I'm more hung over than I thought .

Don't see a Physx setting like Nvidia has in control panel , Ati does 'nt have one ?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    No made me pay full price ,the buggers . $ 269.00 . Havn't played a game yet just playing around with Win7 themes and do notice quite a difference , colours seem quite vivid . Either that or I'm more hung over than I thought .

Don't see a Physx setting like Nvidia has in control panel , Ati does 'nt have one ?
    Naw, mang. And lately they (nvidia) even blocked physx in their drivers when there's an ati card in the rig alongside the nivdia one.

There's a hack for that, though. Not sure it works with the latest drivers, but def the ones before that. Requires win7 and an nvidia card (obviously) though.

ATi doesn't want physx atm, nvidia offered, but they said no, something about not condoning proprietary stuff from nvidia. Some guy tried making his own drivers for running physx on ati cards as well, but he seems to have given up on the project, after proclaiming both nvidia and ati are dicks, or something.

EDit: I should say that your 4890 will have directx 10.1, the nvidia one runs directx 10, so while you don't have physx, you do have that instead, I guess.
    Last edited by Snee; 10-17-2009 at 02:55 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    kooltilldend's Avatar One n Only BT Rep: +2
    its a crazy card...i was planning to get it with my new desktop...yet neither the desktop came...nor the card (i'm broke lol)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast