Thread: MIT Students Invent 'Gaydar' Software

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    MIT Students Invent 'Gaydar' Software
    By Jane McEntegart, published on September 22, 2009

" Is your friends list letting the cat out of the bag when it comes to your sexuality?

A couple of MIT students conducting a study on social networking arrived upon a very unique conclusion: the two discovered that by studying the company a person keeps online it is possible to determine the individual's sexual preference, even if they have decided to not share that information in their profile.

Boston.com reports that two MIT students recently decided to study social networking and privacy from a new angle. Instead of the usual "Did you know your Facebook profile could ruin your chances of gainful employment or get you fired?" approach, the two decided to take a look at what people unknowingly reveal about themselves through social networking sites and named the project "Project Gaydar."

Carter Jernigan and Behram Mistreeused created a software program that looks at the gender and sexuality of a person's friends and, using statistical analysis, predicts their sexual preference. While Boston.com does concede that the two students had no way of checking if all of their predictions were right or not, they claim that based on their knowledge outside the Facebook world, the tool appeared to be particularly accurate when it came to men.

“When they first did it, it was absolutely striking - we said, ‘Oh my God - you can actually put some computation behind that,’ ” Hal Abelson, a computer science professor at MIT who co-taught the course, said according to Boston.com. “That pulls the rug out from a whole policy and technology perspective that the point is to give you control over your information - because you don’t have control over your information.” "

Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/MIT-proj...news-4696.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    That's hilarious, now i know why some of my friends won't make facebook accounts.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Fuck it.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Oh shit....

XD

Although this could be potentiall harmful if its not accurate and makes false claims. Or if the other person just doesn't want people knowing =/

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    While Boston.com does concede that the two students had no way of checking if all of their predictions were right or not, they claim that based on their knowledge outside the Facebook world, the tool appeared to be particularly accurate when it came to men.
    Sounds like they're just guessing to me.
    Last edited by Skiz; 09-23-2009 at 08:30 PM.

yo

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejnger View Post
    That's hilarious, now i know why some of my friends won't make facebook accounts.
    some of your friends are gay then?

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    And is that supposed to be bad?