Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next Uk Prime Minister

Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by Biggles@16 October 2003 - 00:55
    I am not sure what they were thinking when they had three cheers for the farmer that shot the young burglar at their recent conference.

They seemed to totally blank out that he used an illegally held firearm on someone running away and that he had a history of depression and paranoia. This is their recipe for law and order?
    Better than having them shoot you, I say

If someone burgled your house, would you honestly do nothing and see whether they harm you or just piss off with your stuff?

Personally for me, the choice wouldn't be whether I shoot the pricks or not - It'll be whether I used the Colt or the Shotgun

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Illuminati

I understand your point but the circumstances surrounding the case were somewhat strange. I take if you are allowed a hand gun you do not reside in the UK.

A reclusive farmer with a house that looked deserted with boarded up windows etc., had his house broken into by a couple of likely lads. Convinced "they" were out to get him he grabbed his gun, which he had no licence for, and charged downstairs, the youths, realising that the house was occupied couldn't run away fast enough. He shot them as they tried to escape killing one.

He was susequently jailed for manslaughter. He has served his time and been released and in the couple of interviews he has done since he has stressed his fear of going outside because "they" are going to get him.

I don't think he should have been jailed but I do think he needed (and probably still does) help.

Why the Conservative Party chose this bizarre case as a plank for their getting tough on crime theme beats me. There are plenty of far less "moral maze" orientated cases they could have used - like the two girls shot at New Year by Yardie types.

It came across as if they were saying just go get a gun (any gun) and shoot anyone you find on your property and we will back you. I think the first person to do that under the next Conservative administration (if there is one) will find that is not what they meant at all. It was a singularly silly thing to do but I guess they felt they needed the headline space.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123