Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix BIOS Boots in 1 Second, Loads Win 7

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Phoenix BIOS Boots in 1 Second, Loads Win 7
    September 25, 2009 by Marcus Yam

" Not quite instant-on, but very-quickly-on.

One difference between many consumer electronics and the PC is the time it takes from hitting the power button until it's fully functional.

PCs have had to contend with far more complexities in its system, as well as slower storage media such as hard disk drives. While much of that we have to live with, the advent of faster storage solutions such as SSDs make the wait from power-to-desktop shorter.

Now Phoenix has created a new BIOS that will boot (or POST) a PC in just one second. Such a quick boot process means that it can shave a significant portion of the total load time of a cold system, with the rest of the wait being the loading of the operating system.

Phoenix demonstrated its technology on a Lenovo T400s equipped with an SSD. Just one second after the system was powered on, the drive access light began to flicker and a clean Windows 7 was loaded to the desktop in about 10 seconds.

Check out a video of the technology in action at LaptopMag.One difference between many consumer electronics and the PC is the time it takes from hitting the power button until it's fully functional.

PCs have had to contend with far more complexities in its system, as well as slower storage media such as hard disk drives. While much of that we have to live with, the advent of faster storage solutions such as SSDs make the wait from power-to-desktop shorter.

Now Phoenix has created a new BIOS that will boot (or POST) a PC in just one second. Such a quick boot process means that it can shave a significant portion of the total load time of a cold system, with the rest of the wait being the loading of the operating system.

Phoenix demonstrated its technology on a Lenovo T400s equipped with an SSD. Just one second after the system was powered on, the drive access light began to flicker and a clean Windows 7 was loaded to the desktop in about 10 seconds.

Check out a video of the technology in action at LaptopMag . "

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pho...bios,8735.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Zip's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Sounds pretty cool. If I had a Phoenix BIOS I could actually bother to turn on my computer every day.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Great. Now there will be NO chance I will be able to hit F2 fast enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Phoenix might not be meant for geeks.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Phoenix might not be meant for geeks.
    Maybe my reflexes are just getting too slow.

Put a new SSD in my Asus 901 the other day and missed the bios several times. Don't know if I'm a geek or just old...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Maybe my reflexes are just getting too slow.
    I wasn't aiming the geek thing directly at you, but to all who knows the 'advanced' F-buttons at startup.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +1

Unsure

I do not understand how this is news, my bios already boots into windows in 1 second?

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    I honestly do find this fascinating and quite impressive but it's nothing to make me think of getting a new motherboard to shave off a few seconds.
    Great job to Pheonix but doesn't impress me, lol

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by UsenetGuy View Post
    I do not understand how this is news, my bios already boots into windows in 1 second?
    No it doesn't.

They'll probably make it so you hold a key before htiting the power button to get a menu of bios options like boot device, cmos setup, etc.
    Last edited by tesco; 09-26-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Especially if someone doesn't remember what button it is and tries to read the text on the bios to find out which one it is in that one second...

I hate the fact that my windows boots quickly enough, but my bios spends like 10-15 seconds scanning my hard drives or something. Dunno if it's necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast