Thread: Pro-Copyright Musician Was Pirating Music

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Pro-Copyright Musician Was Pirating Music
    By Kevin Parrish, published on September 26, 2009 at 2:40 AM

" British pop star Lily Allen was preaching the music anti-piracy sermon while slipping copyrighted music to her fans.

The term "practice what you preach" couldn't ring truer for British pop artist Lily Allen. Apparently, the UK pop singer--known for her hits Smile and The Fear-- has stood upon her pro-copyright soapbox Twitter blog for quite some time, preaching her anti-piracy sermon while slipping illicit mixtapes full of copyrighted music to the public on her LilyAllenMusic.com website. So what's her excuse? She didn't know any better... or so she claims.

"I made those mixtapes 5 years ago, I didn't have a knowledge of the workings of the music industry back then..." she said in a response to Techdirt calling her a hypocrite. But as Techdirt points out, there are many consumers currently paying the price legally and financially who "didn't know any better" while sharing music five years ago. Even though Lily Allen's intentions were admirable in promoting the music the liked, her actions were--and still are--illegal and contradictory to her beliefs.

But now Lily Allen has pulled herself out of the music industry altogether, calling it quits. "I will not make another record,” she said on her Twitter blog. "The days of me making money from recording music has been and gone as far as I’m concerned, so I don’t stand to profit from [anti-piracy] legislation." After that post, Allen added one last post before dismantling her Twitter soap box for good. "I’ve shut down the blog, the abuse was getting too much," she said.

So what's the lesson here? Don't complain about illegal file-sharing bankrupting the music industry while distributing copyrighted music. Karma has a funny way of kicking you in the a$$, right Earl? "

Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Pirating...news-4728.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    I find this so funny, lol

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Barely the first time this happens. Hypocrites,blah.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    But should you ridicule her so much for a past mistake? That was done before she really (or at least claimed) to know about all this?

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Didn't some band leak their album early and blamed pirates?

EDIT: Yep: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/B...-Pirates-96616
    Last edited by iLOVENZB; 09-27-2009 at 01:30 AM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"