Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Banned From What.CD - Questions For Anyone Who Can Help..

Just personal preference I guess, also why donate to a tracker you do not know will be some where you will use regulary?
    Not saying its wrong or right to donate to get into a tracker but it personal choice of the tracker and person donating.
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    chances are smaller but is it worth seeking for being invited by a staffer, knowing that it can be a long quest ? i don't think so.
    you're asking the wrong person mate.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by the_martinator View Post
    ps: By a little effort i don't mean asskissing.
    :d
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    PS: By a little effort I don't mean asskissing.
    sure... good you clarified that point.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    PS: By a little effort I don't mean asskissing.
    sure... good you clarified that point.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Hey MrLex,

See, the thing is, we as staff members deal with a lot of invite sellers. We know quite a bit about their business model, including diversionary tactics, injections of plausible deniability, and a "don't admit to anything in the disabled channel and I'll send you another invite" clause. The great amount of discouragement invite buyers get from telling the truth makes it extremely difficult to trust anyone invited by a known seller.

In your case, the person who invited you was selling invites on the exact same board. While it's possible that you didn't buy the invite yourself, it is difficult to believe that you didn't know it was going on. You underestimate the amount of time and effort you could have saved everyone had you simply reported him. As such, I agree with TedMaul's decision to leave you disabled.

Now, in response to this:

Quote Originally Posted by cabedna View Post
    Here's the thing about What.cd. And I mean this in the nicest way possible, so don't confuse my point. 80% of the admins there have some sort of issue. Some of them are on an ego trip, some are paranoid, others are very elitist. Some have all of these problems.
    It may seem that way to someone who was banned from the tracker, I'll warrant that. But becoming staff on our site is hard. You have to demonstrate hard work, commitment and all those things, but the most serious thing that we look for is whether or not you're a cool dude.

Look at it this way. You're staff on a site. You devote 90% of your free time to a hundred thousand people you've never met. What does this entail? This entails deleting and editing torrents uploaded by stupid/malicious people to keep the torrent quality high. This includes moderating the forums to keep the community from degenerating into 4chan. This includes keeping the members of the site safe from possible arrests. And this includes, instead of simply glining or ignoring people who have been disabled the way many other trackers do, running a very busy channel where they can come to speak directly to staff members.

Now, imagine you had a job where you had to spend 6+ hours a day being lied to by scumbags who don't give a shit about everything you've worked for. This is what running the disabled channel and talking to hit and runners, traders, sellers, and cheaters all day is like.

How long do you think you'd last in that job, before you lost faith in humanity and suffered from a mental breakdown?

If you're like most people, you'd probably last a couple weeks. Now, imagine being a What.CD staffer, where you have to deal with this every day, during your free time, for months and months. Do you have any idea how cool you have to be in order to do all this, without being compensated at all, and not start tearing your hair out?

The paranoia comment you made is probably true. Our paranoia isn't unwarranted though - arrests for running sites like this may seem surreal to you, but they're very much a part of our realities as staff members.

But we continue staffing. Why?

Is it because we're elitist? Is it because we're on permanent ego trips? I wouldn't say so.

We do what we do because we believe that the world needs it. We delete transcodes because they harm the quality of the site. We ban cheaters because they harm the site economy. We ban the trees of invite abusers to keep people safe. And we do this, for no reward but the loss of free time and the risk of arrest, because we love the site.

We love the site, we love the music collection, and we love the community that surrounds it all. And we do what we do to keep it all working.

And you call us elitist ego tripping paranoiacs.

I hope I've changed your opinion on the What.CD staff - you may not get that impression when you're in a channel normally frequented by the bane of the torrenting world, but everyone on the What.CD staff is extremely cool. If not, there's no way they'd be able to handle it.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    NZB-BT-RS-FTP's Avatar Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatMan View Post
    Hey MrLex,

See, the thing is, we as staff members deal with a lot of invite sellers. We know quite a bit about their business model, including diversionary tactics, injections of plausible deniability, and a "don't admit to anything in the disabled channel and I'll send you another invite" clause. The great amount of discouragement invite buyers get from telling the truth makes it extremely difficult to trust anyone invited by a known seller.

In your case, the person who invited you was selling invites on the exact same board. While it's possible that you didn't buy the invite yourself, it is difficult to believe that you didn't know it was going on. You underestimate the amount of time and effort you could have saved everyone had you simply reported him. As such, I agree with TedMaul's decision to leave you disabled.

Now, in response to this:

Quote Originally Posted by cabedna View Post
    Here's the thing about What.cd. And I mean this in the nicest way possible, so don't confuse my point. 80% of the admins there have some sort of issue. Some of them are on an ego trip, some are paranoid, others are very elitist. Some have all of these problems.
    It may seem that way to someone who was banned from the tracker, I'll warrant that. But becoming staff on our site is hard. You have to demonstrate hard work, commitment and all those things, but the most serious thing that we look for is whether or not you're a cool dude.

Look at it this way. You're staff on a site. You devote 90% of your free time to a hundred thousand people you've never met. What does this entail? This entails deleting and editing torrents uploaded by stupid/malicious people to keep the torrent quality high. This includes moderating the forums to keep the community from degenerating into 4chan. This includes keeping the members of the site safe from possible arrests. And this includes, instead of simply glining or ignoring people who have been disabled the way many other trackers do, running a very busy channel where they can come to speak directly to staff members.

Now, imagine you had a job where you had to spend 6+ hours a day being lied to by scumbags who don't give a shit about everything you've worked for. This is what running the disabled channel and talking to hit and runners, traders, sellers, and cheaters all day is like.

How long do you think you'd last in that job, before you lost faith in humanity and suffered from a mental breakdown?

If you're like most people, you'd probably last a couple weeks. Now, imagine being a What.CD staffer, where you have to deal with this every day, during your free time, for months and months. Do you have any idea how cool you have to be in order to do all this, without being compensated at all, and not start tearing your hair out?

The paranoia comment you made is probably true. Our paranoia isn't unwarranted though - arrests for running sites like this may seem surreal to you, but they're very much a part of our realities as staff members.

But we continue staffing. Why?

Is it because we're elitist? Is it because we're on permanent ego trips? I wouldn't say so.

We do what we do because we believe that the world needs it. We delete transcodes because they harm the quality of the site. We ban cheaters because they harm the site economy. We ban the trees of invite abusers to keep people safe. And we do this, for no reward but the loss of free time and the risk of arrest, because we love the site.

We love the site, we love the music collection, and we love the community that surrounds it all. And we do what we do to keep it all working.

And you call us elitist ego tripping paranoiacs.

I hope I've changed your opinion on the What.CD staff - you may not get that impression when you're in a channel normally frequented by the bane of the torrenting world, but everyone on the What.CD staff is extremely cool. If not, there's no way they'd be able to handle it.

Wow very excellent explanation i commend you sir

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    Even if it's true that MrLex bought the invite, can't you forgive him for that? I know that invite selling/buying is forbidden by the what.cd rules, but if MrLex was an excellent member in every other respect, why can't you forgive him? Also, it's a fact that we can't be 100 % sure whether he's lying or telling the truth about what he knew about his inviter.
    Last edited by OlegL; 09-28-2009 at 08:58 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL View Post
    Even if it's true that MrLex bought the invite, can't you forgive him for that? I know that invite selling/buying is forbidden by the what.cd rules, but if MrLex was an excellent member in every other respect, why can't you forgive him? Also, it's a fact that we can't be 100 % sure whether he's lying or telling the truth about what he knew about his inviter.

So let MrLex back then any oe banned will be able say well you let MrLex back and he did worse than me. Site staff would have more trouble for that than by keeping to rules clearly stated
    It is not as tho whatcd are the only tracker with that rule it is a quiet common rule on trackers
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckater View Post

So let MrLex back then any oe banned will be able say well you let MrLex back and he did worse than me.
    Really? Somebody was banned from what.cd for a lesser crime than the one that MrLex presumably committed?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast