Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal to download nzbs?

beansis's Avatar Pussy Liquor
    As the title stated, im curious if there are any copyright consequences to downloading the nzb files. To my knowledge they are simply index files and should be irrelevant to groups like the RIAA, but I just to make sure.
    Also I would like to know if there is any significant difference between .nzb and .torrent files, aside from the protocol

Tanks . . .

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    There is no way an nzb could be argued in a court of law as illegal, nor could one be sued for copyright infringement. I would say an nzb is similar to a .torrent in the sense that they're both "roadmaps" to information, and not the information itself.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Yea there's no way downloading only the ".nzb" would be illegal. It's like a set of directions. Even downloading the content wouldn't be illegal if you actually legally owned it, cause thats all we download

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    FTD has a case against them for the very same thing....it inks to copyrighted material one way or another, same a torrent/ed2k file.
    [center]

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    beansis's Avatar Pussy Liquor
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    FTD has a case against them for the very same thing....it inks to copyrighted material one way or another, same a torrent/ed2k file.
    but since it links to copyrighted content, could you possibly get in trouble if you download nzbs on a monitored network, and then SSL the actual files/data

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    so if its illegal, would it be best for FST (this site) to stop offering NZBS as surely this site could get in trouble for hosting them couldn't they?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post
    so if its illegal, would it be best for FST (this site) to stop offering NZBS as surely this site could get in trouble for hosting them couldn't they?
    I may be wrong but I thought I saw earlier that tesco may have implemented a system where the site itself doesn't directly store the nzb.

Quote Originally Posted by beansis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    but since it links to copyrighted content, could you possibly get in trouble if you download nzbs on a monitored network, and then SSL the actual files/data
    I think that usenet providers keep logs and they are required by law to hand it over if there is a warrant. But unless like you're some international criminal or you're a uploader, I really doubt they would would spend any effort trying to find you.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Hombre's Avatar Finish Him !!!! BT Rep: +1
    yes, it is illegal because it points to copyrighted material. they're exactly like a .torrent

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    bonkers's Avatar forever learning
    there like a torrent but much cleaner and quicker so better all round in my opinion and you dont have to seed to recieve !!!!!

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    captive's Avatar speaks.his.mind
    they are just after the big fish, the sites themselves, not us little guys.
    ///dont.let.the.bastards.get.you.down\\\

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast