Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's the one year anniversary of the closing of NZBMATRIX

It's the one year anniversary of the closing of The Matrix. Remember this message?
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

The End...

It is with our regret to announce that NZBMATRIX had closed.

We have had to make this decision due to a very large takedown request from a company called Wiggin LLC. These represent the following: Federation Against Copyright Theft Limited ("FACT"), Paramount Home Entertainment International Limited; Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Limited; The Walt Disney Company Limited; Twentieth Century Fox Film Company Limited; Universal Pictures (UK) Limited; Warner Bros. Entertainment UK Limited.

As everyone is aware we are DMCA/Takedown notice compliant, and always have been.
    Once this notice is completed we are left with an impossible task of policing our indexing bots. Even then it won't stop there, there will be follow-up notices etc.

Coupled with this is problems with payment providers, we have been through pretty much everyone out there, in the end they all pull out.
    There are massive server/bandwidth costs to pay, with the payments in-stability this is a very hard task.

NZBMATRIX has never been the subject of any legal issues or threats.

Also the Usenet Indexing scene is going through some changes, with content being removed from pretty much every provider its making the existence of an indexer irrelevant if the content does not even exists anymore.

So it's time for us to bow out...

______________________________________________________________________________________

How have you fared since the closing? Do you think Usenet is better or worse?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Possibly better, but is highly dependent on what you want out of it. If you live by pro-wrestling or p0rn, maybe actually better as most of that has gone to encryption (both naming and rar), with private (and subscription based) web-sites that have kept the same type content flowing much more than before. So if you've jumped through those hoops, you might actually be getting much more than you ever did in the past.

As far as movies and such, it actually hasn't been affected hardly any, if at all. Some will point to one or more broadcast tv series or another, but as they are all available through subscription based rental, it really makes no difference at all.

Has it made usenet life 'harder'? Probably a tad or more. I'll add in that at least a couple of the 'law' firms engaged in this activity with the studio types have been driven out of business, mostly due to their links with organized crime.

But really, I don't subscribe to any of the web-sites (fee or otherwise) and find more 'stuff' than I'm able to keep up with. Maybe if the internet gods could get me a cheap gigabit line (or even something say 1/10th that speed) I'd be singing a different tune, but I currently have well over 50TB of 'good stuff' and am rapidly approaching when I'll have to do a major add to my storage network by the start of next year (at several thousand $$$).

The loss of a major rental outfit (Blockbuster, which had MANY HD films that Netflix still doesn't have) is more of a downer for 2013 at this point. I have a list in front of me of well over 25+ movies, a number of which are highly rated by IMDB (although I usually don't put a whole lot of stock in their 'ratings'), but still...

Overall, to me, things are going pretty much just about as good since the 'matrix' days.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    I think for experienced Usenet users, things are pretty much the same...
    Digital World...You can't handle the Digital World! What did your Mom buy you a PUTER for Christmas!
    http://usenetgeeks.com

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    DngrMs's Avatar Super Rodent
    ^ this.

But RIP nevertheless, it was genuinely good value at 10 bucks, was unpretentious, well populated and didn't expect much of anything from the userbase.

Subjectively I watch less movies as a result of the demise of NBZMatrix... not sure whether that benefits Hollywood or not...
    Just like the NSA, I'm compelled to copy everything I want to.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    It made some of us a bit more savvy when it comes to our Usenet choices... I miss Matrix but I would not have sought out other options had it not succumbed to its eventual demise. I made it here as many others have... the community is an alive and entertaining distraction by comparison to other sites where the mods exert too much of their influence and control... everything is within reach if you know how and where to look... RIP Matrix
    No life ever grows great until it is focused, dedicated and disciplined.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Echoing the above, it's pretty much same as it ever was.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I was sad to see the Matrix go away. To me it had an element of community that I have not seen in the sites that have followed. Some of the sites I've had the pleasure of being part of managed to put together a community but they were largely communities of 20 or so with the rest of the user base being relative leechers...which i cant entirely blame them for but it still makes me miss "the old days". Hopefully we will one day be able to have a site like matrix again but that may just be a pipe dream

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    It was a blow, but the loss of Newzbin was a bigger one...

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotalpha View Post
    I was sad to see the Matrix go away. To me it had an element of community that I have not seen in the sites that have followed. Some of the sites I've had the pleasure of being part of managed to put together a community but they were largely communities of 20 or so with the rest of the user base being relative leechers...which i cant entirely blame them for but it still makes me miss "the old days". Hopefully we will one day be able to have a site like matrix again but that may just be a pipe dream
    My sentiments exactly!

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Yes, so true. (I've even saved the old bookmark as sort of a shrine... I even click it every now and then...) ...but I'm very happy here now at FST and have actually found more quality watching without wasting TB's of space with so much stuff that I probably never would actually use.

As far as Usenet is concerned, perhaps better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast