Thread: hard drive?

clocktower's Avatar Poster

Question Mark

Got a new rig earlier but when i click on things like my docs, firefox,etc i can hear the hdd struggling to keep up dunno why its brand new 1tb samsung sata hdd other parts are amd athlon 7750 dual core, 8 gig ram,geforce 8500 GT (1gig ram) so aint a clue only the psu i can think of thats not keeping up with all the hardware....possible? its a 450 watt generic psu any ideas pls.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Sure it could be the PSU, but if I had to guess I'd say it could be a bum HDD. I have gotten more than one in my time. In my humble experience if you can hear the drive it aint working right. Have you tried any error checking on the disk yet? Or even any of the samsung/seagate tools or an O&O disk program yet?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    hmmm nope not tried any tools yet,hdd is brand new was fine couple of weeks ago

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...=249&ppmi=1155
    Last edited by clocktower; 09-29-2009 at 09:13 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Are you sure it's not just a program you installed, maybe firefox or an antivirus, that's causing a lot of hard drive use?
    Did it do this even from a fresh windows install or did it start later on? That will give you a clue...

A faulty or underpowered PSU cannot cause this.
    That said I'd still replace that power supply if you have the money. If not, do it as soon as possible. They are unreliable and have been known to sometimes take out other components when they fail (it has never happened to me). A 450watt quality power supply is enough.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Still any clicking isn't good at all.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    no clicking noise at all it just sounds noisey when clicking FF or any program as if its still asleep if u get me as if its still and when clickng on things it wakes up but with a noise
    and its new as i say with win xp

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    dadelor's Avatar Supercalafragalistic BT Rep: +4
    thats definately not good could be a faulty drive, clicking isnt a good sign. did you try running chkdsk?
    Last edited by dadelor; 10-01-2009 at 01:36 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by clocktower View Post
    no clicking noise at all it just sounds noisey when clicking FF or any program as if its still asleep if u get me as if its still and when clickng on things it wakes up but with a noise
    and its new as i say with win xp
    If the thing is going to sleep then either you have an incorrect setting in windows power options (drive sleep after 10 seconds?) or a faulty windows installation or a faulty drive, or even a lose power or sata connection ( I think you would get windows errors with that happening ).

You could try putting that drive into another computer (or just run a linux live disc on your computer; no installation necessary) and acessing the files on it to see how it acts.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    chdisk all ok,faulty drive maybe? all is fine cables etc so im guessing take it back to aria and let them test it