Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Laugh But I Think I F*cked Up

MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Earlier tonight, I convinced myself I needed to install sp1 but when I went to the microsoft site it says sp1,sp1a-25MB express, and sp1a-125MB. I chose the big one, thinking the installer would give some choices but it gives hardly any, it just installs outright. I did choose to archive to C:\$NTServicePackUninstall$ during installation but those things can be unreliable, I might uninstall from the add/remove programs depending on what people reply. So far everything seems normal but the system info utility(msinfo32) is saying "failed" on outgoing e-mail,dhcp,and default gateway. Everything works though, I sent a test e-mail to hotmail. Thing is, what is the difference between sp1a express and sp1a ITT pro? What does it install and setup that should be turned off?

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    LeGoMyFnLeg
    Exprerss is a bare minimum and downloads what it needs from the web. The IT pack is the full archive. There is little difference really, not enough to account for the failures you listed.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks I'll post a screenshot. brb

can't post a screenshot because i deleted mspaint a few days ago and never went to microsoft to get another copy shit

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    anyway one of my dns servers failed, the default ip gateway(same subnet) failed, and outgoing smtp says failed. but i think msinfo32 is full of sh*t because everything works including surfing. At the bottom under "modems and network adaptors" it says terminal,workstation, and webclient. I don't recognize webclient and don't remember allowing it in start>administrative tools>services.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    LeGoMyFnLeg
    Webclient sounds more like a firewall component. Did something ask to access the web at restart and was denied?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@6 October 2003 - 12:50
    Thanks I'll post a screenshot. brb

can't post a screenshot because i deleted mspaint a few days ago and never went to microsoft to get another copy shit
    after u answer LeGoMyFnLeg, get this file and unerase mspaint.exe CIA UNERASE then post 'em

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    When u install things like sp1,after its installed it normaly resets windows components back to default or how ms wants it.So alot of sevices may be re-enabled again.U can disable web client its just for buisness and corp use and most of the others.Paint u can just r-install again of the xp cd.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    here's the shots but as you say its prob cool i don't see any problems so far in fact i noticed one thing(indexing) is waaaaayyyy faster with sp1a installed

anyway, I think I'm gonna delete C:\$NTServicePackUninstall$ because it looks like everything is ok, if not better, than before.
    FYI:i run XP home version5.1build2600 with sp1a installed 256MB ram Norton System Works Pro2003 Sygate5.0pro build 1150

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    Originally posted by nikita69+6 October 2003 - 03:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nikita69 @ 6 October 2003 - 03:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MediaSlayer@6 October 2003 - 12:50
    Thanks I&#39;ll post a screenshot. brb

can&#39;t post a screenshot because i deleted mspaint a few days ago and never went to microsoft to get another copy shit
    after u answer LeGoMyFnLeg, get this file and unerase mspaint.exe CIA UNERASE then post &#39;em [/b][/quote]
    oh loard you tring to get every body to see eveything they ever had??

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BANNED
    Mate u can disable most of them if u like,all there doing is running in the background taking up resources and memory.These are the ones i&#39;ve disabled without any probs.Your comp should run a better after.Just right click>properties>then disable them from starting with windows.

Alerter
    Application Layer Gateway Service,
    Application Management
    Automatic Updates
    Background Intelligent Transfer
    Clipbook
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Distributed Transaction Coordinater
    Error Reporting Service
    Fast User Switching Compatibility
    IMAPI CD-Burning
    Indexing Service
    IPSEC Services
    Messenger
    Net Logon
    Net Meeting
    Help and support
    Network DDE
    Network DDE DSDM
    Portable Media Serial Number
    Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
    Remote Desktop Sharing
    Remote Registry
    Secondary Logon
    Smartcard
    SSDP Discovery Service
    Telnet
    Uninterruptible Power Supply
    Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    System restore(i dont use..i image my system every few days so theres no need for it)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast