Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: So where does my life go from here?

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollinThunder View Post
    It's not that serious. He was probably a great what member and will be even more so with his new account. I think he should circumvent the 1 account per lifetime rule and enjoy the site again. I doubt he'll trade ever again.
    Right now, he has just made an error in judgment. Some people here (possibly myself included) would consider helping him in the future if he made a [Req], if he deliberately circumvents site rules again, he's out in the cold for many, many of us who could potentially help.

He should make further, respectable attempts to regain that original account. He may be able to find someone there (eventually) willing to overlook his boneheaded move. He will NEVER find sympathy there if he circumvents (tries) the rules again. AND his new account will always have the possibility of being discovered and banned.

No good will come of this. If he was such a long-time good user, he should have some friends there.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    If he was such a long-time good user, he should have some friends there.
    Exactly, thats why the need to trade, seams to be stupid.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Your premise on the last point is flawed. A lot of good members don't interact much with the community. Not everyone is slapping the admins in the irc channel. What is a huge community so I'm not surprised he was not a real standout figure or one who had tons of friends.

The fact that the community is so large is exactly why making further attempts of grovelling in #support will likely be ineffective. I'd bet the admins get 1000s of stories and think most of them are b.s.

If he does it quietly, nobody will know he circumvented the rules.

My point in this thread is basically that, assuming this guy was the user he claims and did what he did to the letter, he deserves a second chance. If the what staff is not going to do that, he should take matters into his own hands (just like he justified copyright infringement to get the files off bt in the first place).

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Squizzle View Post
    well what can i say. i f'ed up. i just lost my girlfriend of 2 years, and she was my life. i cant tell you how many endless hours we spent walking in the park, scouring the shops and malls for that perfect baby crib. i boasted to all my sex crazed friends about her enormous boobs and how i could get laid in just a few ticks.

ahh...those dreamy nights, me and her laying there together, tired from running through the fields all day together.

But the love affiar ended as all good things do. i got greedy and tried to shag her sister for the lulz and got caught.i came back to our apartment to find myself locked out and the big red letters directing me to her friends house. i went and tried to be as honest with them as i could. i told them exactly what i did and where and why. but they said they dont trust me anymore and showed me the door. now im just sitting here dumbstruck as to what just happened. to be perfectly honest i didnt realize that fucking sisters was so frowned upon but ignorance isnt an excuse.

so now what. i feel so naked and empty, like my girlfriend just dumped me. has anyone had any experiences with womens? do they ever forgive and forget? or should we start seeing other people.
    rofl.. nice one squiz
    @OP: too bad ya decided to fuck things up which were going smooth.
    anyway..whatman frequents these parts pretty often.
    I will look forward to his response to this thread.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Uhm, there are other trackers and other methods of filesharing. Try them out.

Also what ca_ok said, how did you miss the recruitment threads?
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    He certainly cannot plead ignorance if he gets caught again. As I mentioned, I cannot argue any benefits from further breaking the rules of the site he has expressed his enjoyment in being a member of.

As for flying "under the radar" or "quietly", this is a fairly public place. Perhaps the equivalent of robbing a doughnut shop in front of a police station. His chances of getting caught (not that he should even try it, IMO) have GREATLY increased.

I will give you the possibility that he may be unknown, or a non-poster. His history here coincides with that possibility. However, IF his story is entirely true, he spends A LOT of time in the forums, reading about a topic he is very interested in. His post in this thread does not strike me as someone who cannot express himself. He actually came across as somewhat sincere or I would not bother with this thread.

As for abandoning the rules of this community because many of us ignore copyright laws, is in itself flawed. Personally, I enjoy this community and wish to remain a long-time member of it. I have no such allegiance to the mentioned industries. In fact, in terms of the uninhibited flow of information that we all enjoy here, I see them as hostile combatants who wish to dismember the internet for their own self-interests. I do not see this community as such. If I wanted (yuck) to be part of that slimy, filth ridden community of whores (apologies to any of the literal and, IMO, far more respectable professional sex workers reading this) and extortionists, I would probably align my loyalties in their direction. *pukes at the thought*
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    @OP: so does this means that the user https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/-221525 has scammed you? did he ever deliver you the bitme invite? if he didn't, quickly report him to the staff here so he can get a nice warm ban.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid View Post
    "thoughts" LOL
    Yes, stealing music is far more pure and respectable than trading invites or getting another account for a bonehead ban.
    Alright, I'll type really slow so you can (hopefully) understand...

Trading got him in trouble in the first place. Circumventing site rules further will get him in... *looks around for someone who can answer* even more trouble. That's what he needs! Maybe he can get booted from some of the other sites he likes as well. Let's take a guy who has made an error in judgment and turn him into a social (BT) leper.

And if you are opposed to sharing files. Go away! Certainly don't sign up for a site called "FileSharingTalk" and...NVM.

Anyway, there are rules in this community, breaking them leads to troubles like the OP is facing.
    Ya I agree hes a dumbass for trading... but you called me out so simply trying to help the guy.
    Opposed to sharing files? I never said that, but since you think sharing is OK and trading invites is "BAD"... I sense arguing w/ you is moot.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    I also tried to trade one of my what.cd invites. They didn't ban me when I told them about it, but they permanently disabled my invite privileges...
    OP, you seem like a good guy who made a mistake. I hope WhatMan will re-enable you after reading this thread. Good luck!
    Invites were never your property; they were what.cd's property and therefore, you were not allowed to trade invites. I have made the same mistake in the past because I didn't realize that important fact at that time.
    Last edited by OlegL; 10-01-2009 at 04:42 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid
    Ya I agree hes a dumbass for trading... but you called me out so simply trying to help the guy.
    Opposed to sharing files? I never said that, but since you think sharing is OK and trading invites is "BAD"... I sense arguing w/ you is moot.
    I find your post history (of trading) and the above post rather curious.

Not sure if you read my further thoughts on this page, but they address my loyalties. I respect the community and especially those who take the time, effort, and money to create and maintain a tracker. I also appreciate those who donate their time to moderating.

Yes, I find sharing similar to borrowing a book from a library (that I would not buy otherwise, or could read in many stores- also for free while having a cup of cocoa) and disrespecting the individuals who have asked for some simple rules to be followed for their efforts.

How long would you put up with someone disrespecting you in your own house? How is telling someone that it is OK to disrespect the site "helping"?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast