Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free binaries at cheapernews.com this week

newsgroupie
    This was posted on alt.free.newsservers yesterday:

Subject: Free binaries at cheapernews.com this week

We just turned on a new bank of servers and are hoping to push 10-20 gigabits of test traffic this week. These servers have 200 days of articles, both binaries and text.

Please give us a hand by testing things out -

The server is:

stresstest.cheapernews.com

No username/password is required.

SSL is enabled and you should be able to make at least 20 connections per host.

Sorry, we don't support posting.

We may have a few few-minute outages during the course of the week as we try different server and/or load balancer configurations, but our plan is to keep the service up until and through July 4th.
    Running a tracert suggests that they are a reseller connecting to Highwinds DC serverfarm - but with only 200day retention, not 300.

This is a new service (Domain registered May30) that has apparently just opened -- and is already being spammed. So I'd definitely stay away from their yearly prepaid accounts (It's an even bet that they'll still be around in a year) but I'm happy to leech from their server to help load-test it.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    [QUOTE=zot;3246077]This was posted on alt.free.newsservers yesterday:

... but I'm happy to leech from their server to help load-test it.
    Yeah, me too

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    ssl is not working for me on port 563, havnt tried 443...non ssl port 119 is working fine for me and seems to give me a bit faster and more consistent speed than astraweb does

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    ssl doesnt work for me either.
    they have good speeds (still; slower then astra), but will not be replacing astraweb any time soon.

long live the king, astraweb!
    Last edited by ericab; 07-02-2009 at 12:36 AM.
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ericab View Post
    ssl doesnt work for me either.
    they have good speeds (still; slower then astra), but will not be replacing astraweb any time soon.

long live the king, astraweb!
    no yea...until someone comes out with same reliable service/rentention/ssl/speed/connections...extc for under $10, astraweb cant be touched

but honestly ive been downloading with cheapernews at a steady 3400-3500 KB/s while on astraweb its always around 2800-3000 KB/s...i always thought it was on my end but it seems astraweb might be to blame

this is good for people who dont have usenet who want to leech the shit out of it for a week
    Last edited by dutchmaster420; 07-02-2009 at 01:09 AM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    Minor speed differences between different usenet providers are usually due to the routing across the net.

Like many other providers, Astraweb can *on request* change the routing to speed up a slow connection. That's what everyone who can't max their connections should try doing.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    so is should email them and tell them my findings? i figured it was useless to email them cuz theres nothing they can do

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    newsgroupie
    Yes, definitely contact Astraweb. Like most other major usenet providers, Astraweb is connected to several different backbones, and Astraweb can reroute the path between you and their server to get the best speed.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    yea i just emailed them after some more testing...i keep getting close to 3600 KB/s with cheapernews while only 2750 KB/s with astraweb

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    astraweb's data-store and peering is located in san jose california, whereas just about every datastore/peering point for highwinds starts on the east coast.
    it is 100% likley that somewhere along the lines from east to west you are being QoS'ed. so yes, as zot has said, ask for a re-route... personially i did this with giganews (located in plano texas i believe) and within an hour they had my speeds maxed out. i hope astraweb complies with you, let us know.
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast