Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-scene on ScT

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Where did you find the news that they are allowing non scene content?

But why in god's name are they rared? It doesn't make any sense to me at all.
    What I really hate is when I go on a torrent site to find a cracked copy of winrar after formatting, the winrar apps are rar'd. <---- Fail.
    Last edited by Rart; 10-02-2009 at 09:29 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    What I really hate is when I go on a torrent site to find a cracked copy of winrar after formatting, the winrar torrents are rar'd. <---- Fail.

Those words are so true
    A self extracting rar would be a better option.
    Another thing is when it all one rar and then some one decides put into multi rars to follow trakcers rules, so have to unrar to a rar file to unrar again to get what you want
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    I would rather have files unpacked but it does not bother me. Takes a extra minute to unzip. Why is it that files on most BT trackers are compressed/rar,is it to save room on the sites server?
    Last edited by pone44; 10-02-2009 at 09:37 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Well The Wiki release was not rared. So if anybody had the file from other trackers they could not help seed.

If you want good HD content then join a private site with good encoders like HDChina and CHDbits. But for big releases you can always find that stuff on TL after it makes its round to other sites first.
    Last edited by hotshot6473; 10-02-2009 at 09:42 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by pone44 View Post
    I would rather have files unpacked but it does not bother me. Takes a extra minute to unzip. Why is it that files on most BT trackers are compressed/rar,is it to save room on the sites server?
    They aren't compressed =/. They are just RAR'd without compression. That's why those plugins to view rar'd content work so well - they wouldn't function on files that are actually compressed.

I think it may originate somewhere from usenet, where completion isn't always 100%. Instead of making the file useless, the incomplete RAR files could be repaired with PAR files, which is why everything in usenet is RAR'd. I guess that just made the transition to BT.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Even if the rar files were compressed, what good would it do since movies are already compressed data? By that logic you could archive a release with compression several times, each time it would be a bit smaller, and at the end, you would end up with a 1kb large rar-file . Maybe i'm wrong, and that you can save a few megabytes by rarring a movie with compression, but it doesn't really make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    I think it may originate somewhere from usenet, where completion isn't always 100%. Instead of making the file useless, the incomplete RAR files could be repaired with PAR files, which is why everything in usenet is RAR'd. I guess that just made the transition to BT.
    I'd say it originates from the scene, where zips (later rars) has been the standard from the beginning. Since ScT is a scene tracker, my guess is that they keep even non-scene release rarred to conform with their standards, or call it tradition if you like. You may aswell ask why scene 0day releases are first rarred, and then zipped. Makes no sense at all either, but afaik the zipped 0days are kept for traditional reasons?

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Benjamin's Avatar Poster
    It's amazing how fast WiKi released this, I'm guessing it's rared because it was downloaded off usenet. I was surprised they have some Esir rips on free leech as well.
    "She tried to be sexy, I asked her can you stop, I want the real deal I don't want a hand job."

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    james223's Avatar t0rrents BT Rep: +1
    I like when releases are rared as you can generally cross seed with other sites. The reason why most 0-day sites rar is because they are the original releases of usenet if they are p2p or direct from the 'scene'

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Scene stuff is rared into parts as ftping is more likely for errors and then only one small part has to be got not the whole file if corrupt.
    Torrents do not need to be rared due to way transfered, they are broke into blocks and transfered that way and checks and redownloads errored blocks.
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    I don't get why people say that the torrents need to be rar'd to cross seed. I extract torrents just fine from sites and cross seed them after being unrar'd.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast