Thread: What Kind Of Ram ?

DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@6 October 2003 - 23:42
    i have PC100 slots
    thats the problem
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@6 October 2003 - 15:42
    Damn ive heard of alot of new stuff in this post...DDR PC133??? lol PC166....none of that exist i dont believe....but neway...i have PC100 slots.  I bought a PC133 and i thought it would work fine...but it DIDNT work at all.  What could be the problem?  The company told me BOTH sticks had to run at the same speed...thats not what I hear here...Is it something to do with the CAC...or w/e that guy up there said?
    i know it sounds complicated-- it's all about pin configuration. PC133 should work in PC100 slots (i've mixed 'em, myself, and it worked fine), but the computer will just bump it down to 100mhz instead of 133mhz. if you mix different speeds, even on a PC133 motherboard, it will run all RAM at the speed of the slowest one. if it's not working at all, it's prolly an incompatiblity between that brand of RAM and your motherboard-- just trade it in for a different brand.

i'm guessing you don't have a spare computer to test the PC133 with, so just tell the company it didn't work with your PC100 motherboard... that you think it was either incompatible or DOA but you don't know which, and you want to trade it for a different brand. they'll most likely let you get a different one, without much hassle.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    lol well i mean i sent it back and got my money back easily..tiger direct is awesome...newayz...yeah it was ULTRA ram..which i think is good? lol and i always hear it will run it on the slowest..but when i talked to a guy from tech they said that they had to be the same speeds....also what is that CAS thing that guy was talking about? "Make sure there the same CAS" ?? thanx man
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@6 October 2003 - 18:13
    lol well i mean i sent it back and got my money back easily..tiger direct is awesome...newayz...yeah it was ULTRA ram..which i think is good? lol and i always hear it will run it on the slowest..but when i talked to a guy from tech they said that they had to be the same speeds....also what is that CAS thing that guy was talking about? "Make sure there the same CAS" ?? thanx man
    CAS Latency is a speed rating for RAM, that's much more specific than just mhz. it measures in nanoseconds a certain delay that happens in RAM. a 200mhz RAM stick with a lower CAS Latency should be slightly faster than a 200mhz RAM stick with a higher CAS Latency, for example.

as far as i know, it's not extremely important to match the CAS Latency between all your RAM sticks, but it can make a little bit of a performance & stability difference. if you're not a tech geek who obsesses over getting a couple more frames-per-second in video games, it's usually not even worth paying much attention to. it MIGHT be a good idea to match the CAS Latency between your RAM though, if your motherboard is just really sensitive about that.

i think a program like CPU-Z can help you figure out what CAS Latency your current RAM has.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    As mentioned previously, the maximum clock-speed of standard SDRAM is PC133. DDR RAM improves this to 333 and 400MHz, and the nVidia Quadro4 improves that to 1GHz (), but that's gettin' off-topic.

If you currently have SDRAM installed, I wouldn't install RD RAM/DDR RAM, because it's most likely that the memory configuration was chosen with a motive behind it, most likely that your motherboard does not support DDR RAM. I was previously in need of a 512MB PC133 DIMM, cheap, and here is a link: http://myahead.com/go/look/product.s...duct?v_id=3110.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    been browsing some paperwork and i endeckt the specs of my board so i decided to post it as this could help to see what i nedd : my board specs are epox board 4pea series : so what could i need to get the most out of my board then ? (new question )
    Open your mind

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Is ULTRA good?? Thats what i bought with PC100 slots...the Ram was PC133, so I dont know why it didnt work?? Ne suggestions?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12