Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win2k Laptop Screen Problem?

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i have a pretty recent laptop, but i prefer to have 2000 in it as it uses less resources and i dont use the visual stuff in which it came with, but when i intsalled it then installed then installed the display driver it restarted and itt showed the normal startup screen then when it loaded the screen was blank, i tried 2 versions of the display driver i got of the compaq site, but its the same, anyone knoe what the problem could be?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    bump? anyone help at all? or had similar probs.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    bump again, i would like to use 2k on my laptop so can anyone help?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Dodgy knees
    I'm installing win2000 server on my laptop now (Acer).

I'll let you know if I have any similar problems.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    cheers, if i dont get anything here ill try contacting compaq

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Hey..

I just installed Win2k on my laptop yesterday...and I'm having the same problem with you...after the startup screen is loaded...it just goes blank...I could hear the windows sound theme though...but cant see anything...however, when I got onto windows...via safe mode networking...I went to see the Device Manager..and there's a "Unknown Device - Multimedia Video Controller"...I tried reinstalling it...but couldn't...could that be the problem to why I got a blank after the startup screen is loaded?

How do I reinstall the Multimedia Video Controller?

Livy, have you tried safe mode networking? Do try it..and tell me what you got...

Thanks

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i dont know what happened with same mode networking, im not sure if it worked or not. i had win 2k pro sp4. i aint got 2k in anymore, im gonna give it a go after the\weekend

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    I've seen something similar with XP, with a faulty driver. The display was ok with VGA mode drivers (which you would get in safe mode), but as soon as the system was set to use the proper drivers the problem came back. I'm guessing your problem is going to be similar.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Any solutions to solve the problem?

I have succesfully installed the "Multimedia Video Controller", but when I tried the normal mode......same blank screen....

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    it happens with me with 2 sets of drivers, and i dont think ati supply drivers for laptop cards, as manufaturers tweak them for there specific screen/

unless the drivers are exactly the same for both versions i got, but one has the ati control panel and one doesnt so that may be the only difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast