Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Swear Changing Ports Increases Download Speed!

I was downloading a movie at 1.25 kbit/s, it was slow so I decided to change ports, under setting/firewall. I changed it to about 6000, and guess what. All of a sudden, my download speed climbed up to 10kbit/s more for about 3 seconds, then it slowly climbed back down to 2 kbit/s, and stayed there. When it got too slow again, I tried changing ports again, this time to 7000, and it climbed back to 12 kbit/s for about 10 seconds, and so......

What I'm trying to say is, it works. Although not every time it still is a blessing. You should try it yourself. I really don 't know why it does this, but if there was only a way to automatically change ports every 10 minutes or so...

I'd also like to know if anyone has gotten a rise in download speed by changing supernodes. How the heck do you find the right one that brings out the best download speed out of all the IPs shown in the table? Does kazaa automatically choose and connect to the best supernode for the file your downloading? Do supernodes really help increase download speed?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Hmm... it seems to work... although i didnt get quite the dramatic effects that you had, it does seem to give a temporary burst of speed. Probably won't affect download speed alot in the long run... but its a nice relief when a files been downloading at 1kb.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Forum Star
    changing ports has been mentioned before here and it seems to help some people

I'd also like to know if anyone has gotten a rise in download speed by changing supernodes. How the heck do you find the right one that brings out the best download speed out of all the IPs shown in the table? Does kazaa automatically choose and connect to the best supernode for the file your downloading? Do supernodes really help increase download speed?
    have a look here for a simple 'how to' about the supernodes

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Instead of changing ports do this, While searching tick the auto search more box then let it search when your download comes up then start downloading and let it continue searching and then back in traffic when u see your max speed then go back into search and stop the search. Another thing u can do is to pause the download then right-clik it and clik "find more sources" it will search and that should speed up your download. One last thing u can do to speed it up while search align the bandwidth column header by pressing it till the arrow is pointing down then scroll back to the top and get the first file (if your getting music I don't recommend this last tip).That should help u if and next time before u post search the board using the search button at the top of the page.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    If changing ports helps, it's because your ISP is anti-P2P by blocking or throttling the ports you're on.

Another reason it might help is because you've had the same ip for weeks or longer and uploading lots of files on it. MANY people have since found your shared files and are still trying to download them, resembling a mini Distributed Denial-of-Service attack (DDoS attack for short.) This is evident if you monitor internet connections while KL++ *ISN'T* running and you see LOTS of connection attempts on your KL++ ip port.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    yep its works

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I too see an temporary increase could it be a backlog of packets which catch up when you reconnect to the new port?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by b33fy@7 October 2003 - 14:51
    I too see an temporary increase could it be a backlog of packets which catch up when you reconnect to the new port?
    Most likely not.
    If you're blocking the old port, there is NO backlog of packets.
    (That's what blocking ip port 1214 in KL++ does.)

The best explaination I can give is if your ISP is throttling Kazaa by port 1214 AND packet type.

It could even be the case that they only throttle the connection again WHEN they see another INCOMMING port 1214 packet -- which are almost certainly people still trying to download on your old port or RIAA's bots, which may be pretty sporadic if you changed ports quite long ago.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Seems to me that if the increase in speed is only for about 10 seconds or so, then it is doing nothing for you.
    The increase in speed is just kazaa recalibrating (for lack of a better word) the speed till it finally settles on the correct speed of 1 or 2 kb.

Not saying this doesn't work for some (especially those who do have ports being blocked as mentioned above) but I just do not think this is what is happening for you. Otherwise the speed would continue for longer then a few seconds.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    PAiNKiLLER
    We all know changing ports sometime helps to increase the d/l sped. This topic has been discussed before...

Image Resized

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast