Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand the appeal of CoD4/MW2

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I never understood the appeal of these games.

I've played it a couple times with my friends and it just seems like a counterstrike with less aiming and more spraying

Am I missing something?

2. Games   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    To each their own. Different strokes for different folks, and so on...

CS is old and shitty tho. Actually, it's beyond old. And come to think it, that makes it beyond shitty as well. I have no idea why people cling to these old games as if something better has yet to be released. There are plenty of FPS's out there that any fan can find at least one they like.

FPS games are the only games I really like. The POV puts you in the game and the replay value is endless.

yo

3. Games   -   #3
    Are you talking about 1.6 or source? I meant source in my OP. I just find CoD 4 to be so... sprayish.

I saw this video of highlight reels of killstreaks on CoD4, 90% of the time its someone who just sprays into one tiny area and manages to get like 4-5 kills in a row from lucky respawns.

4. Games   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Both are old, outdated, and look like shite, similar to the original CoD. But I'll give CoD credit for actually having an atmosphere that was realistic. CS prided itself on realism but other FPS's blew it away in that respect.

To add to that, the accuracy/damage model in CS was (is) a joke. One reason you see people getting multiple kills in CoD4 is that the bullets do realistic damage. Unlike CS where if you're a shotgun fan, you have to shoot another user 5 times at point blank range to kill them. That's absurd.

There is just no point to playing a game that is so stupidly inconsistent in its implementation and handling of weapon accuracy and damage.

CoD4, IMO, is a more realistic game in gameplay, atmosphere, weapon realism, etc... It just plain rocks.

yo

5. Games   -   #5
    CS was good, but people need to move on. If you think CoD4 requires no skill then play hardcore S&D or something similar, not many people spray on those games, more tactical than anything, usually one shot and you are out.

6. Games   -   #6
    kasuser's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPirate View Post
    CS was good, but people need to move on. If you think CoD4 requires no skill then play hardcore S&D or something similar, not many people spray on those games, more tactical than anything, usually one shot and you are out.
    Agreed. There is a good deal of skills required for the FPS/TPS type games now. CS was just that - spray and pray.

Unless the OP is referring to the genre in general. Then, I see where you are coming from - but - it looks like the devs are adding components to appeal to players differently, almost RPG style components. I am not sure it is all e-peen, but, comparing your stats to others can come down to just that...

7. Games   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I played CoD2 and 4 before ever trying CS:S. I played CS for about a half hour before retiring it forever. I find the CoD series to be so much better. There are tons of great servers out there that play tactically or just in general not like a moron running around CS screaming into the mic. CoD5 is even better for tactical gamers.

You need to find servers that appeal to your style and even personality, since you can end up playing with the same crew for many, many hours.

8. Games   -   #8
    brento's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    To each their own. Different strokes for different folks, and so on...

CS is old and shitty tho. Actually, it's beyond old. And come to think it, that makes it beyond shitty as well. I have no idea why people cling to these old games as if something better has yet to be released. There are plenty of FPS's out there that any fan can find at least one they like.

FPS games are the only games I really like. The POV puts you in the game and the replay value is endless.
    CS lives on due to the amount of custom content being made for it.

9. Games   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuser View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPirate View Post
    Agreed. There is a good deal of skills required for the FPS/TPS type games now. CS was just that - spray and pray.

Unless the OP is referring to the genre in general. Then, I see where you are coming from - but - it looks like the devs are adding components to appeal to players differently, almost RPG style components. I am not sure it is all e-peen, but, comparing your stats to others can come down to just that...
    What I'm trying to say is that I feel like CoD seems to reward spray and pray far more than CS:S. Like I've mentioned, I've seen some COD4 highlight videos and the best ones all seem to be a person simply luckily spraying into a spot where people spawn and get like a 5-6 killstreak. That doesn't, if ever happen in CS:S.

10. Games   -   #10
    towerblocks's Avatar MW2 ADDiCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuser View Post

What I'm trying to say is that I feel like CoD seems to reward spray and pray far more than CS:S. Like I've mentioned, I've seen some COD4 highlight videos and the best ones all seem to be a person simply luckily spraying into a spot where people spawn and get like a 5-6 killstreak. That doesn't, if ever happen in CS:S.
    You're obviously playing against or watching shit people then, Check this video out and tell me it's spray and pray

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7MVtGtgeBA[/youtube]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast