Thread: Power Strip-like USB Hub

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Power Strip-like USB Hub
    by Serkan Toto on August 3, 2010 - Source : CrunchGear

"
    A power strip-like USB hub with four ports than can be turned on or off individually? That, and another version with seven ports, is what Japanese accessory maker Elecom announced [JP] today.

The power strip USB hub can also be attached to a magnetic surface (see picture below). It also comes with a bunch of stickers (in English) to help you identify which USB port is powering which device.

It’s already on sale in Japan (in black and silver), but specialized online store Geek Stuff 4 U is offering it to everyone living outside Japan for $40.70 (the version with seven ports (AC) costs $106.15).
    "

Source: http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/08/03...-like-usb-hub/

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    The magnetic is nice, if you have a magnetic desk, for connecting cameras and mp3 players and stuff like that.
    I don't see how turning off a usb port is useful. Why would be a purpose for that?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    A quote from a recent movie i saw: "Get switch. Save planet"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Not only is this pointless, but it could also be harmful to devices on the hub you are trying to use.
    The proper way to disconnect a usb device is to eject the portable usb device , or shutdown your machine and unplug the device manually.

On top of this all, the price is blown way out of proportions for such a useless piece of trash. I personally wouldn't trust my hardware with this.

These kinds of usb expanders are known to be strenuous on usb ports, and I wouldn't put it past this product to fry your only port on your laptop.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 08-09-2010 at 10:01 PM.