Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win 7- GodMode

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Here's an interesting little tweak...
    If you're running Windows 7- 32 or 64 bit, create a new folder (anywhere you want) and name it: "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" (no quotes).

You'll notice that as soon as you rename the folder the folder's icon will change.
    Open it up and you'll find access to just about every tool/setting found in the OS- basically, a supershortcut through the Control Panel.

I created the folder on a storage drive then made a shortcut which I dragged to the Windows Explorer icon in the taskbar.
    Now, with one click from the taskbar I can do pretty much anything the Control Panel can do without all the extra drilling through icons and drop menus.

Not sure how useful this will be long term but it's a clever trick.
    Last edited by clocker; 01-05-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    So what do you think of Win 7? I'm contemplating installing it but I'd like a good reason since I prefer to buy my OSs.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I've been running it ever since the first Beta release and absolutely love it.

I recently had to reinstall XP on a neighbor's PC and was forcefully reminded how much slicker and smarter 7 is.
    As an example...a clean reinstall of Win 7 on my machine- which runs a RAID array- requires absolutely no drivers.
    20 minutes after it begins, I'm on the desktop, internet ready.

In contrast, XP would not be capable of even seeing the RAID array and would require the famous F6 floppy dance to insert RAID drivers before it could even begin the install.
    When finished, I'd have to manually install every driver that XP lacked.

I'm also a big fan of the Aero GUI, derisively dismissed as "eye candy" by XP purists, who like to talk about "bloat" and "inefficiency" and (apparently) treasure the wimpy specs of old machines.
    Any new(ish) PC will have the horsepower required to run Win 7 and make XP look dull and flat.

If you're on the fence about the upgrade, "obtain" a version and give it a test run, then buy if you like it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote :

The trick is also said to work in Windows Vista, although some are warning that although it works fine in 32-bit versions of Vista, it can cause 64-bit versions of that operating system to crash.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post

If you're on the fence about the upgrade, "obtain" a version and give it a test run, then buy if you like it.
    Nicely done that falls well short of counseling to commit a crime.
    Btw I would never think of illegally obtaining anything myself as I only use torrents for their ease in acquiring things from the public domain .

Hey peat moss how goes things oot West?
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Really good Idol , just watching some Hockey tonite and drinking some brewskis .

Have two laptops to re and re but going to use Win7 as its faster from start to finish .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    This is interesting.. where did you find out about this, clocker?

@IdolEyes787, Windows 7 is the best thing since..well... XP
    Last edited by S!X; 01-06-2010 at 03:54 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    This makes me feel almost as powerful as I do when sv_cheats is enabled. I probably won't ever end up using GodMode but I feel awesome knowing that it's there.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    there is a little app called Windows 7 in a Box, http://www.big-daddy-design.com/windows7inabox.htm just another way of doing this. I did the god thing today and will compare with the box tomorrow but I bet it's the same thing just a different UI.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Couldn't this be used as a security hole?

I mean the whole purpose of the way it asked you for admin rights when you do everything is to protect your computer.

Its pretty cool from the sounds of it. Although I wouldn't expect Mircosoft to pack something like this in their os....
    Their usually straight forward you get what you see kind of deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast