Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the lightest weight free firewall software?

Question Mark

This is for a WinXP virtual machine so it needs to be lightweight and block incoming and outgoing traffic. I've used Zonealarm for years on my main PCs, but I know its a little too heavy for a VM.

Thanks.

sorry for the double post but my other one didnt show up until much later
    Last edited by nyknicks; 10-15-2009 at 04:07 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Comodo?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    yeah I agree Comodo, It will do all the things you want for a free good firewall, It will keep you informed with popups telling you and asking you what programs are trying to get Into You Pc and out to the Internet.
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstate01 View Post
    y...It will keep you informed with popups telling you and asking you what programs are trying to get Into You Pc and out to the Internet.
    That bit was a pain in the ass!
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    invitestor's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    one up for Comodo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I've been using Outpost since 2006. Stuck with v4 since the latest versions have a lot of features I don't need. Memory usage is usually around 4MB.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    karachidude's Avatar Excelsior BT Rep: +5
    Commodo bugs at the start,but gurus say its the best out there

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I really did not like commodo although its last update when I was using it showed improvement I still prefer Zone Alarm free because you can set it to Manual and it wil stop everything but itself from connecting to the net, nothing gets out without your permission, and its very obvious when they try. One of the tricks Programs use is to trick ZA into saying iots Window Explorer thats trying to connect. But its so obvios that I'm installing something when it pops up so who's foolin who here. For that reason I never put a check mark in always or never allow boxes for Windows Explorer so I can choose each time it comes up. Some programs I want to connect (ccleaner) and others I do not cause I cracked them. This comes in real handy if you want a program to connect to the net as you install the trial, and then later after its fixed you no longer want it to connect.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    graywolf's Avatar The Anime Addict
    I think i will vouch for comodo.. Though I have been using it recently, it gives satisfactory results.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I use Comodo Internet Suite (also free) on my Win 7 64 machines as well as my XP machines.

Definitely not a resource hog.

Use the AV or FW functions optionally.

Here are Matousec's latest test results:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/pro...ge/results.php

Btw-

This site and it's testing is what got me off the ZoneAlarm bandwagon - I used to be a big fan, but no more.
    Last edited by j2k4; 01-23-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast