Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Copyright Infringement letter to Seedbox Host

Quote Originally Posted by rey View Post
    name me 5 other companies who do this and i will never post here again. and u didnt want him to post here as it has caused embarassment for u
    You are still bitter because you didn't get a free ride, aren't you?

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    The OP DLed a watched torrent. On ANY site, ANY computer, ANY proxy, ANY seedbox, you WILL get a notice. It's not like some seedbox hosts are "more secure" than others. It depends on the torrent.

And I feel like leaving the user in the dark is worse than not. Sure, the copyright notice may be going to the seedbox and not to the user, but it's not really hard to track it back to you, especially if they have the law and warrants from that country on their side. So I don't understand why this would be a problem, ever.
    Last edited by Rart; 10-18-2009 at 01:50 PM.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    xxk2xx's Avatar Member
    Ok Everyone I have had some time to think about this letter..

The reason i posted this was to let it be known that no matter who your Seedbox hosting company is you (MAY) still receive a scary letter..
    Xirvik and all hosting companies should be given a lot of credit for providing all of us their service. Plus Xirvik.com has some awesome priced packages with free proxy/vpn ..
    Anyway, the letter provided me a time and date stamp plus the info hash # of the torrent. So I forwarded it to TL support so they can do some digging around and maybe ban the person logging the IP .(I would really like to hope this) . Maybe i stopped this same letter going to that poor person that leaves his computer on all day seeding from home. Except he might have received this letter with a google maps location of this house attached.(Kidding)..
    So thanks to all hosting companies.
    Guys a TV show surprised me too.. believe me. I wont do it again

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by xirvflux View Post
    name me 5 other companies who do this and i will never post here again. and u didnt want him to post here as it has caused embarassment for u
    lol
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I don't see why some people are under the delusion that seedboxes provide you a measure of security/anonymity. You pay for speed, your IP is still visible to the swarm. And your details are linked to a name and bank account that in most cases is your real information.

You'd be safer using usenet or WASTE or just DDL if you're that concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Poster
    lol i just gave u an invitation to shut me up and this is wat u reply? LOL. i take it u dont know den, i think this comment has put more embarassement than it is, i mean an owner trying to cuss some1 in public doesnt always look good

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    You pay for speed, your IP is still visible to the swarm.
    No it's not. The seedbox IP address is visible to the swarm, not the user's. And using a HTTP proxy not even the websites see the user's IP.

Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    And your details are linked to a name and bank account that in most cases is your real information.
    Yes. But when the user is in one country, the seedbox company in a 2nd country, the physical server in a 3rd country and the payment processing company in a 4th country getting access to all the details is not as easy as it seems.

To put it another way: If we -Xirvik- got a threatening letter from a US corporation that demanded information about one of our users and we provided such information, we would be violating laws that do apply to us.

So seedboxes do provide some anonymity. First, because your IP is completely hidden. Second, because all the traffic (between the seedbox and your computer) is encrypted. Third, because having data in separate countries makes it more difficult for any party to get access to it.

By the way, don't think the only reason for wanting privacy and anonymity is torrents. There are many others, completely legit and reasonable. We have many users that use VPN and/or proxy for things that have no relationship with the torrenting world.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Oh I completely agree that seedboxes help in that manner, what I'm saying is that if they care, they can still track you down. People seem to think that a seedbox is the same sort of protection as a VPN or SSH tunnel and it's not.

And I myself use a server for multiple uses including torrenting, so I'm aware there are other reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line

lol i just gave u an invitation to shut me up and this is wat u reply? LOL. i take it u dont know den, i think this comment has put more embarassement than it is, i mean an owner trying to cuss some1 in public doesnt always look good
    I think your flagrant and intentional misspellings (who the hell shorthands "then" to "den"? Seriously?) is more of an "embarassement" than what xirvflux said could ever be.

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    Not badmouthing anyone but this is strange. How come this is the first time a member has mentioned something like this,if so common? Plus you send out 4-5 letters a week.?

No it's not. The seedbox IP address is visible to the swarm, not the user's. And using a HTTP proxy not even the websites see the user's IP.
    To put it another way: If we -Xirvik- got a threatening letter from a US corporation that demanded information about one of our users and we provided such information, we would be violating laws that do apply to us.

So seedboxes do provide some anonymity. First, because your IP is completely hidden. Second, because all the traffic (between the seedbox and your computer) is encrypted. Third, because having data in separate countries makes it more difficult for any party to get access to it.
    Not many (depends on how you look at this though), and also what you consider to be a reputable tracker. This week we got 4 (and yes we forwarded them to each user, we consider this to be something to be aware of), 2 from one tracker and another 2 for a different tracker. 3 were about TV shows in case you were wondering.

While we are at it and since some people seem to be worried that we forwarded the notice (I'm missing their rationale though) let me tell you that our seedboxes include HTTPS/FTPS traffic, VPN and a proxy, or data between our users and their seedboxes is ALWAYS encrypted (unless they choose not to use encryption, that is), and that they can surf keeping their IP address hidden at all times - and this is not only for visiting trackers, it works with everything else.

Finally, DMCA does not apply in our territory (or most of our servers locations), but we still read, store, and forward every complaint from every agency. Not doing anything is like ignoring a traffic ticket.

This does not make sense to me^.
    So those laws apply to the company but the last paragraph above it is posted they do not? Confused!
    Never heard of ANY seedbox company forwarding C&D letters to their customers!
    Has anyone here ever received a C&D letter or heard of someone getting a letter from their seedbox provider? Why would someone want a seedbox for anything other than using BT/P2P?
    Last edited by pone44; 10-22-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast