Thread: Thermal interface Silpat???

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    OK so I want to make a custom backplate for my Evga 260 55nm. I basically want to use a piece of black aluminum for it, but I want to get some Thermal interface pad to go between the plate and the card so nothing could ever short and to help the heat dissipate better. Not to mention it looks much nicer

Firstly I can't seem to find a pad large enough anywhere and it came to me could I use a product like the silpat? My wife has one that I would cut up in a heartbeat to use if I thought it would work. I feel like it will work as the intended use is to transfer the heat from the baking pan to the cookies or whatnot and be non stick. The site says "Can be used at temperatures varying from -40°C to 250°C (-40°F to 482°F)".

Now because it conducts heat do you guys think it would be good for this or would it spread heat to other parts of the card that wouldn't normally heat up? Hmmmmmm, I may just try it anyway. I'm getting the aluminum tomorrow. and will mark it/cut it a day or two later.

Another idea I had seen was to use a piece of Plexiglas but I feel like the plastic would hold the heat right on top of the card. Ideas??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    ckrit's Avatar Flagpole
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    would it spread heat to other parts of the card that wouldn't normally heat up?
    Yes. not sure how big a problem it'd be, though.

And good call on not using plexiglass, btw. That'd be completely useless, IMO.

As for what to use, if you have to make a backplate at all, have you considered using a bunch of smaller pads, on top of memory chips and whatever might actually need conducting heat away?

It might still trap more heat than it moves, though.
    ckrit d<rit c|<rit

Mi signotaur > urs.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    That Silpat ISN't a "heat conductor", it's a non-stick surface.

Your custom backplate is intended to hold what?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    My first thought was that it was to protect from possible leakage from his cooling, heh.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Touche Snee.

I want a backplate for the looks and I have read that on other cards it has helped cool the card a bit. Since they don't make one for my GTX 260. I think I can make one fairly easily. I know it's not classified as a heat conductor but it does in fact conduct heat O.0 so i figured it may just work. It's rubberized so it would protect the card from shorts also.