Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uploading to usenet

ericab > would you mind removing the rapidoor guide from your post? we try to keep the text only on usenet so usenet folks can benefit on the down-low.

as far as the method goes, your right, it is not intended to be convenient, BUT it can be more convenient than how some post. using this format the poster must post the title in clear text which has a pretty quick and standard link to the nzb already created. no password hassles and what not. of course a clear text post with nzb would be best, but some posters would never post like that so compromises must be made. also with the amount of stuff hitting ab.hdtv, having all the content posts easily filterable in a usenet client, as well as the announce posts, the prior all start rapidoor, the former all start _AB HDTV_REVIEWS is a plus.

the point of the method is to obfuscate but not hide the post from the general masses who want it. it atempts to standarize naming and passwords so you don't have to hunt for them. it tries to give posters more well being so they keep posting and we all win. it also allows for a number of options in how it is used and how 'tough' you want to make it. its initial implementation was too prevent third party websites from catalogging posts like newzbin; with all files named the same, it allows posters to hide amongst each other and makes it impossible to catalog.

no fully secure method exists, especially if your trying to share.

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    sure no problem
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    60hr to upload is craziness

but the uploads will be much appreciated...if you upload it, they will come

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchmaster420 View Post

Just goes to show the 'breath' (or lack thereof) of 'broadband' in some parts. Where I live (maybe where you are as well, but it's local adverts not on any 'national' network) AT&T has been running these commercials patting itself on the back for 'all the improvements we've made to broadband over the last 10 years'.

The first thing they did 10 years ago was get the state legislature to pass a law prohibiting any local government organization from building broadband networks (we have county/city run electric grids where I live, and AT&T owned the cablecos before the sellout to Comcrud).

A couple of cities managed to get their networks up and running before the law went into effect, and were 'grandfathered' into staying in operation. They still exist (100% fiber to the home), and Comcast and the telco (mostly Verizon, some Qwest) have about .001% of the market there.

This is in a mostly rural state, that IF there was decent internet (hell, decent basic PHONE service) in most the parts, we would be giving China and India a run for their money in doing things like phone support and such.

But....NOOOOOOOO. We can't have that! Even though I live less than 3 miles from the WORLD'S BIGGEST BUILDING (look it up), max speed I can get is 10/2mb/s (Comcast, with various limits and slowdowns, at ~$99/mo) or 3/768kb/s from Verizon (no limits, $35/mo).

I have to restrain myself from thowing a brick at the tv during those 'commercials'.

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchmaster420 View Post

256kbps/40GB=7.62939453 × 10-7 hertz

Standard plan in Australia is 1500/256 (and they pay a fortune). Now with the introduction of FTTH they'll get 100mb/100mb (supposedly), while the rest of the world will get 1gb/1gb

Australia was still of dial-up when then rest of the world was on broadband .
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123