Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uploading to usenet

Poster
    Im thinking of uploading some blurays to usenet, would anyone be intrested, Think im going to stary off uploading Year One 2009 then most prob Ice age 3,

What you guys think?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    Yes upload them. I am sure many would be interested.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Yeah, just do a quick search in NZBIndex and make sure someone else didn't already.

Also, as long as you upload them to the right group, someone would always want them.
    [center]

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    beansis's Avatar Pussy Liquor
    upload sum quality 720p encodes, like from hd-united, pleeeez
    Last edited by beansis; 10-19-2009 at 07:44 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster
    Ill be uploading full BD-25 iver untouched or Re-Encoded by me

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    How long does it take for you guys to upload a bd-25?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Poster
    Im uploading a Bd-25 atm and it says 60h, so will post it on site when done, Ive out a password on it so only people getting the nzb from the sites i post it on can extract it.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepgek View Post
    Im thinking of uploading some blurays to usenet, would anyone be intrested, Think im going to stary off uploading Year One 2009 then most prob Ice age 3,

What you guys think?
    The two major newsgroups for BR is a.b.blu-ray (kinda obvious there) and a.b.hdtv (although exactly why is a bit of a mystery, probably because a lot of broadcast HD was put there before any disc format).

The size v. upload speed made a lot of folks password encrypt their postings in the early days (heck, even now), so that the xxx-days it took the lechers (uh, us common downloader types) wouldn't fill up the group will 'hey, this has xxx missing parts!' during the time it took to upload.

The most common 'technique' was to embed the password file as a part of the rar set, generate the par file, and then delete it from the actual download list; since the par files were the last file uploaded, that meant that when the d/l'er ran quickpar on the files, even a 100% retrieval would report '1' file missing. The pw file. Easily retrieved at that point. Get it?

Others use poorer techniques, or weird hoop jumping (although the scheme used by 'Trapdoor' for SD DVD9's is pretty unique itself, and relies on a pw file that is posted at some future date, well after the complete posting is done, complete with nfo and nzb's).

Even though the BD25 and BD50 discs are huge, and unless you're on FIOS with jaw-dropping upload speeds, I'm always astounded by those who, when doing BD's, seem to 'forget' basic usenet practices. Like part sizes; I just d/l'ed one that had parts LARGER than 1GB per part! Even a 4-core cpu and super-fast ram/disc drives just about ground to a halt trying to run quickpar on parts that large!

And the number of BD posting folks that 'forget' to do an nzb! Or an NFO! and don't forget those who seem to think stripping out bits and pieces makes sense, too. Jeez, if you're going to do something that large, DO IT. Don't try to slice off a handful of GB's to make it smaller, or easier.

Those commentary tracks, or obscure (to you or me, maybe) language or subtitles may be just what someone else is looking for.

But go to it, just make sure you're using a good decrypter (AnyDVD-HD is the best), and that the result is squeaky clean.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepgek View Post
    Im uploading a Bd-25 atm and it says 60h, so will post it on site when done, Ive out a password on it so only people getting the nzb from the sites i post it on can extract it.
    I do not want to sound ungratfull, but passwording the file is the wrong direction to go here, no offense, but I use search engines alot, and some people don't even visit web sites, but just use search engines, headers, search groups with headers, and use supersearch, there's nothing more annoying than downloading 25GB and don't know the password. Maybe a NFO stating the password in it, and saying this was posted as such and such, maybe to give the user the heads up, not promoting or anything, just saying I know alot alot alot of users are against passwording files.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 10-20-2009 at 02:09 AM.
    [center]

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    newsgroupie
    I've never understood why so many people password-protect usenet posts (that use the real title, and worse yet, don't even say it's PW'd). Passwording a file won't prevent it from being taken down, as DMCAs can easily be issued for material sight-unseen if the copyright owner only suspects the file might be infringing.

But for people who feel they must encrypt a release, they should "encrypt" the subject/overview/header as well, so the passworded file won't be found in key-word searches or downloaded by people who can't open it. But then a cryptic filename alone probably should be enough protect a file from the MAFIAA's takedown demands.

I can think of only one good reason to PW files -- for paranoid posters using a low-retention server (and a provider that does not log post details past the retention period) so that by the time the file can be identified and opened at a later date, the poster's identity has already been scrubbed off the server. (Though retention alone can be deceptive; some providers like Easynews were saving logs of posters for over a year on a server with only 2 weeks retention) I wonder if that might be the logic behind the Trapdoor delay?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast