Thread: Horror movie that started it all

SelfMadeMMAn's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    Which film got you into the greatest genre? How old were you, and I want to see a back story [if there is one] Mine is....
    My dad was into horror, and I bugged him to let me watch a scary movie with him. He finally agreed. The year was 1982, and the movie he sat me down to watch was The Exorcist. It scared the crap out of me, and I think he was hoping that it would be the end of my horror obsession, WRONG! It did scare the crap out of me [I was only 6] but I loved that feeling, since then, I jumped abord the terror train and never looked back! Now, I am passing the torch to my 9 year old, but I still refuse to stop my ride, just adding to a great genre.
    Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Your Dad should be investigated by the Dept of Childrens Services.A 6 year old is incapable of differentiating between fiction and reality and making a child sit through The Exorcist is a form of psychological abuse.

If my 6 year old " bugged me " to watch a scary movie I would think something like Scooby-Doo would be a lot more appropriate.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    To be fair, I think Scooby-Doo is more terrifying than The Exorcist.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Daphne's hot. Not Bugs Bunny in drag hot mind you , but hot nonetheless.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    SelfMadeMMAn's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Your Dad should be investigated by the Dept of Childrens Services.A 6 year old is incapable of differentiating between fiction and reality and making a child sit through The Exorcist is a form of psychological abuse.

If my 6 year old " bugged me " to watch a scary movie I would think something like Scooby-Doo would be a lot more appropriate.
    HAHAHAHA, he did not force me, he gave me a choice and I chose to watch it.
    Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    I gave my six year old a choice once. He saw me salivating intensely, eyeballs in orbit, enjoying a bowl of fuck-off hot chilli I'd made.

'Okay, kiddo', I said, 'wrap your chops around that'.

He cried for most of the night and hasn't even approached anything closely related to spicy food ever since. Perhaps he never will.

I watched The Exorcist when I was about 9. It just happened to be on in someone's house when knocked-off Video Nasties were the prevalent teat in the corner where I just happened to grow up.

What really shocked my socks as a kid, however, was the TV movie version of Salem's Lot with David Soul. That shit had me climbing the fucking walls gripping rosary beads. That and Evil Dead (part 1) and Mausoleum (shlock pish, but to a 10 year old, fucking brilliance).

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by chalice View Post
    What really shocked my socks as a kid, however, was the TV movie version of Salem's Lot with David Soul.
    One of my favorites as a kid too and I'm surprise not a big horror movie fan.I'm actually still seeding it on Ben's tracker I think.
    Never seen the remake although I've got it stored someplace. No point to it really.
    When I was growing up a friend use to come over and we'd watch old b&w horror movies ( Frankenstein,The Mummy,I Was A Teenage Werewolf - alas Michael Landon) that some station out of Rochester ran every Saturday afternoon.
    I'd then visit my cousin who lived in this strange isolated old house .He had models of these characters in his upstairs bedroom and I could barely go up the stairs let alone set foot in the actually room.

Another TV movie had weirded the fuck out of me was Trilogy of Terror
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073820/ : the part with Karen Black and the animated doll .
    And what was the name of the movie,another trilogy I think where some unseen creature was stored in a box for like decades and then it breaks out and we discover it has many,many teeth.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    ...where some unseen creature was stored in a box for like decades and then it breaks out and we discover it has many,many teeth.
    That would be Baywatch...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    It wasn't that frightening.

I googled remembered it :Creepshow . The story was "The Crate"
    "A mysterious, extremely lethal creature is unwittingly released from its crate in this suspenseful and gory monster story. Hal Holbrook stars as pacifistic college professor Henry Northrup, who sees the creature as a way to rid himself of his drunk, emotionally abusive wife, Wilma, played by Adrienne Barbeau".

The monster in the crate was nicknamed "Fluffy" by the film's director, George A. Romero.
    Geez written by Stephen King and directed by George Romero.I was really onto to something there.

Fluffy.I had a cat named Fluffy.

Normally I'd just embed the vid but this way you get to read the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA2Ga4g5e4A