Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hulu to charge subscription fee

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Hulu to charge subscription fee
    October 23, 2009

" Popular online video service Hulu will start charging subscription fees sometime next year, says News Corp. Deputy Chairman Chase Carey.

While speaking at a recent Broadcasting & Cable summit Carey announced his plans for Hulu: “I think a free model is a very difficult way to capture the value of our content. I think what we need to do is deliver that content to consumers in a way where they will appreciate the value. Hulu concurs with that, it needs to evolve to have a meaningful subscription model as part of its business.”

Hulu.com has attracted a large online audience by offering commercial-supported TV shows and movies from NBC, ABC, Fox, and other networks since 2007. However, the addition of a subscription fee may send most of Hulu's users searching for alternatives.

I use Hulu frequently to watch everything from Comedy Central's "Daily Show" to Fox's "Family Guy." I stomach the commercial interruptions in exchange for the high-quality streaming content, but I certainly won't be pulling out my credit card if the service puts up a subscription pay wall. And I doubt many other customers will be happy to start paying money for a service they previously received for free.

The move to a fee-based business model is a decision that will still have to be approved by the Hulu board, and I hope someone has the sense to blackball this idea. But common sense doesn't always prevail in the entertainment industry – if it did, we might still have "Arrested Development." "

Source: http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/10...scription-fee/ Homepage: http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Screw Hulu then.....when I first got high speed I used Hulu all the time and still do sometimes....so if Hulu goes to subscription like YouTube was thinking about, Hulu will die, very quickly too..

Might still have Arrested Development, you could say the same for Firefly, and TSCC and alot of other damn good shows.
    [center]

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    brilman's Avatar Poster
    Hulu was nice but just like everything els on the net one dies two more take there place.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    If Hulu could have all network tv shows and then some, have a good streaming option to your tv then it may be worth it. Hulu isn't youtube. Those are 2 completely different things. They also have to compete with netflix which is dirt cheap at 8.99, streams to your tv, and they throw video rentals in with it too.

If sharing ever gets mostly shut down everyone will be begging for a site like hulu. I hope they can succeed because there aren't a lot of other legal options.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    goopka's Avatar Poster
    I miss Arrested Development. Any idea if the movie will ever see the light of day? Last I saw, the screenplay was still being written this month.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    well isn't this just a cock in the mouth. hulu's pretty good & all, but adding a paid subscription to their repertoire isn't what i'm looking for. tbh, i'd pay for youtube be4 i did hulu. on the same note i don't blame them. i'd prob ask for sum sort of reimbursement as well, but isn't that what the ads and commercials are for already? guess it's time for me to finish up that x-men cartoon series they've recently added be4 it gets deleted out the favorites.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Meh, NoTV and 2HD for me
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    brilman's Avatar Poster
    just thinking out loud what other sites are good like hulu?
    the only other 2 I know of it.
    joost and sharetv

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by brilman View Post
    just thinking out loud what other sites are good like hulu?
    the only other 2 I know of it.
    joost and sharetv

I've heard TVU is good
    http://www.tvunetworks.com/watchTV/index.html

I don't really like streaming TV shows, I prefer to download them
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    well isn't this just a cock in the mouth. hulu's pretty good & all, but adding a paid subscription to their repertoire isn't what i'm looking for. tbh, i'd pay for youtube be4 i did hulu. on the same note i don't blame them. i'd prob ask for sum sort of reimbursement as well, but isn't that what the ads and commercials are for already? guess it's time for me to finish up that x-men cartoon series they've recently added be4 it gets deleted out the favorites.
    X-Men, well you could always download them via Usenet
    [center]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast