Thread: Netflix Streaming on PS3: Coming Soon

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Netflix Streaming on PS3: Coming Soon
    By matt buchanan, Oct 26, 2009

" Uh, holy crap? As prayed/predicated, Netflix streaming will be available "later this year" on the PS3. Like the Xbox 360, it'll be free with the $8.99-a-month plan. Unlike the 360, you'll enable Netflix via an "instant streaming Blu-ray disc."

Apparently, the free disc activates the Netflix mojo via BD-Live, in what must be the best use of BD-Live ever. At least until the next major system update, you'll have to load up the disc every time you want to use Netflix. But you'll be able to pick out movies or throw stuff into your queue using an onscreen interface, so there's no going back to the old-school days where you had to add stuff to your queue on your computer before strolling over to your Xbox and TV.

Pop on over to Netflix to reserve the disc now—I have a feeling there's gonna be a huge demand crush for them.

"

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5389719/netflix-s...yline=true&s=x

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    These new and various methods of Netflix streaming all seem a bit late to me. With so many ISPs throttling these days and others setting rate plans, it appears that it'll only be a couple of years before those standards encompass everyone. For that very reason, it's my prediction is that none of these services will ever become very popular or widely used.

yo

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Because of the demand for these services I'm hoping usage limits will be lifted. How long can service providers hold back innovation?

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    They'll just change their pricing structure. Internet plans will be like cell phone plans - you pay for what you think you will use.

I've said it for years now and TimeWarner has already started a test market trying out. They're calling it tiered pricing or something like that. According to TimeWarner, 90% of their customers will actually see a drop in how much they pay for the internet. That may be true in how much they pay right now, but in another 10 years when streaming content should be common use, it will be too expensive for most folks to use like they'd like to.

yo

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Another problem unrelated to usage caps is limited content. I'm to the point where I have seen a lot of the older movies that are worth watching. Ones that I'm interested in watching again I would rather own on bluray as they come out. I use the service just a few times a month.

They could do much better by improving their selection of network tv shows.