Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop

Hi, I posted this on another forum but they havn't been any help.
    sooo...
    have struck again ! A mere 5 days since my mum brought her new laptop and I have rendered it un-bootable. 

Well, she is a little "upset" so I'm hoping we can fix this.
    The OS is XP home. And also of note, the laptop has no floppy disk drive.
    So, I was doing a standard disk clean. And I decided to check the box "compressed" files. Well it did say "are safe to delete". But I was feeling sleepy and didn't want to run the battery down. So after a few moments, I clicked cancel and shut the pig down.

Now, the message I see upon trying to start up is as follows : -
    "Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    Please report this as :
    load needed DLLS for kernel.
    Please contact your support person to report this problem"

I tried the included "recovery" disk. And it asks me to put in another disk, not included.
    As a last resort, is there anything I can put on a cd that will format the drive for me ?
    Cheers

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Double Agent
    make a bootable cd with format.exe in it

that will reboot your computer and be able to format it

then if you wanna reinstall the os it's up to u

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@8 October 2003 - 22:35
    make a bootable cd with format.exe in it

that will reboot your computer and be able to format it

then if you wanna reinstall the os it's up to u
    Could you explain that more pls ?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Double Agent
    have you tried safe mode to boot up winxp?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I did. Same error message there too

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Double Agent
    tell me a little more about your recovery disk

you put the disk in, reboot and it asks for another disk?

i dont get it.

usually what happens is the program on disk will give you options on how you want to restore the computer.

most recovery will automatically format the drive and install pre-configured winxp system but i am not sure why your disk isn't working

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Its labeled "recovery disk". Upon bootup, it asks for "...CD-ROM 'Master CD 1"
    Bottom of the screen says Oemsetup v4.17

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Double Agent
    what options do you have in the bootup menu?

if the recovery disk isn't working you need to make a bootup disk on your own.

just use nero or whatever burning program you have, get a blank cd, make a bootable cd and then copy format.com under system32 in win2k/xp or windows folder in win98.

reboot your computer, format your computer, and then reinstall winxp.

if your recovery disk isn't working you have to get another copy of winxp, either buy it in store or download it on kazaa, if you know how but i am not encouraging you to for obvious reasons

or you can take your laptop back for a refund, if you just bought it recently. if the merchant refuses to refund then demand that you have another good copy of the recovery disk or another operating system disk.

under the law consumers are protected from both faulty hardware and software, you should be able to get something for your computer.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Just the standard options, which don't work. Would the file on nova (WindowsXP Pro SP2 VOL) work ?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Some systems have a copy of the master disks on a separate partition on the HD. Unfortunately, there have also been bugs in the recovery disk which means this partition is unreadable. And there are also systems where this partition is missing but they haven't provided the master disks (the last set I saw consisted of a boot disk and 4 master disks).

Since you haven't got any way of telling which of these situations you are in, you have no alternative but to go back to the vendor and ask THEM to sort it out, foc, it isn't your fault that the recovery doesn't work.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast