Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Used To Be So Simple....

There is the way to close running programs by using CTRL+ALT+DEL, this I know. But there is a better way to do this than CTRL+ALT+DEL, I just cant remember how to do it. Closing programs using CTRL+ALT+DEL is something you will have to do everytime you turn your computer on in order to not have those programs running. But I remember there is a way to turn these programs off by opening up a window somewhere that lists all the programs that are currently running(the same ones as in the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen). Each of these programs have a box to the left of them that you may check or uncheck. If checked, than the program with run upon starting the computer, and if unchecked, than it will not run unless you manually open it.

Does anyone remember how to do this??

edit: Yes I know this is posted elsewhere already but it's been hours and still no replies. I've become frustrated and figured I'd post it here as well. Sorry, but it shouldn't inconvinience anyone. B)

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Start -> Run -> type "msconfig" -> Startup

3. Lounge   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    star > run > services.msc is also pretty useful for killing off a few processes you may not need to start up every time.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Originally posted by ScotchGuy@9 October 2003 - 07:17
    Start -> Run -> type "msconfig" -> Startup
    Scotchguy, You are the man of the hour!!!!

I think I'll buy you a scotch/soda

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Ok, I know I need System Tray and Explorer running, but what about......

ATILaunchpad
    BMUpdate
    ScanRegistry
    TaskMonitor
    LoadPowerProfile
    Soundman
    CriticalUpdate
    ccApp
    ccRegVfy-is this some sort of registration verification?
    Pointer-is this my mouse?
    BJCFD
    StillImageMonitor
    LoadPowerProfile
    SchedulingAgent
    ccEvtMgr
    ScriptBlocking
    TrueVector
    run=

Any help will be much appreciated!!

6. Lounge   -   #6
    anyone.....anyone.......?

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    Go HERE and click on A for all your background programs that start with A, then click on B etc............some of the items on your list aren't covered but for those you can type in the actual file name in a google search and bring up some pages that outline their function.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    ashutosh_cool16's Avatar Internet Addict
    ATILaunchpad - ATI Multimedia Center Launchpad

BMUpdate - Bookmark Express update

ScanRegistry - Scans the system registry and makes back-ups at start-up. Important windows file.

TaskMonitor - The Task Monitor checks the disk-access patterns of programs when they are started and stores this information in log files. Task Monitor also records the number of times you use a program. The Disk Defragmenter tool uses this information to optimize your hard disk so that programs that you use frequently are loaded faster. Also solves many of those annoying IE scripting errors if u have norton antivirus 2002+

LoadPowerProfile - Power management specifics such as monitor shut-off, system standby, etc. Loads your selected power scheme and is listed twice.

Soundman - Utilty software for the built-in soundcards on some motherboards from companies such as ASUS and Gigabyte. Available via Start -> Programs

CriticalUpdate - MS Windows Critical Update Notification. If you want to keep Windows up-to-date, check the Windows Update site

ccApp - Part of Norton AntiVirus 2003 . Auto-protect and E-mail check will not function without this

ccRegVfy - Part of Norton AntiVirus 2003 . ccRegVfy.exe is responsible for checking the integrity of the NAV registry entries to make sure that the information has not been changed by a malicious threat or a hack

Pointer - Microsoft Intellipoint software for their Intellimouse series of mice - required if you use non-standard Windows driver features

BJCFD - Broadband troubleshooting software installed by various companies

StillImageMonitor - enables a USB still-image device (such as a scanner) to initiate data transfer to a program. For example, if your scanning device has a scan button, it may start a program and begin scanning when you press it.

SchedulingAgent - Required if you have regularily scheduled events such as weekly virus scans, scheduled disk defragmenting, ScanDisk, etc

ScriptBlocking - Detects certain types of script-based viruses without the need for specific virus definitions - such as JavaScript and VBScript. Related to Norton Antivirus...

TrueVector - Even if you don't have ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro run at start-up you need this

run= - tell me the name of the exe file for this..... cos there are many types of run=

Cheers...
    Ashutosh
    [IMG]http://img272.echo.cx/img272/9836/band8sw.gif[IMG]

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster

Or...........you could just ask ashutosh_cool16 and the secrets of the universe will be revealed !

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by My website's download section
    StartupCPL - Startup program manager
    Created by Mike Lin

This utility adds an extra applet to your control panel that lets you manage all of your startup programs.

Click here to download: http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/progs/startupcpl.exe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast