Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does peerblock work?

I have just downloaded peerblock. From what i hear i can be very useful. unfortunately it simply doesn't work on my laptop.
    I am told i have- "10 lists: 0 up to date - 10 failed updating - 10 disabled"
    I try to update it manually with the 'check updates' button but i am either told 'Error contacting URL' or that it is 100% completed yet nothing has actually happened.
    Please help me!

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    You can go here to download the lists manually:
    http://peerguardian.sourceforge.net/lists/
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Poster
    Don't waste your time with programs like PG and PB. Use a VPN.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Thanks for your speeds reply guys. unfortunately those links aren't working for me. they won't load.
    as for VPN's, i don't understand the technicalities of how it works or who is best to connect to. a noob like me is best off keeping things simple
    any other suggestions/alternate manual download links?

okay, i've been on the iblocklist website. i noticed their update link were different. they included their own url instead of an update from the bluetack website. i changed my lists to match these new ones. now i have a different problem. an error message comes up saying "exception occured" and a load of comptuter ramblings. have you ever encountered this problem?
    Last edited by craiggauld; 01-02-2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by craiggauld View Post
    as for VPN's, i don't understand the technicalities of how it works or who is best to connect to. a noob like me is best off keeping things simple
    Basically, a VPN allows you form part of a private network while away from it, transferring communication and data over another channel - the Internet. Because it's easy for someone to eavesdrop on that traffic, encryption may be used. For commercial VPN services, the attractive isn't forming part of a virtual LAN, but getting data through their servers to your computer encrypted.

now i have a different problem. an error message comes up saying "exception occured" and a load of comptuter ramblings.
    Sounds like a problem with your computer, rather than the site. Try disabling any running antivirus, antispyware and firewall programs that may be conflicting.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    spacey
    Peerblock does not work. Maybe it used to, but my experience after using it for only 2 weeks was a termination from an ISP. It was definitely on at the time and updated every day - we're talking a 10 min lapse of removing a finished seed. Granted, it's freeware so you can't bitch too much. I wouldn't exactly call it "an extra layer of protection" as someone else earlier did. I used the $7/month btguard version 2.0 socks5 with encryption dht disabled of course, which seemed to work for 3.5 yrs for me, then ended up in a termination. Seems to me like p2p blocking and socks5 with encryption does not work anymore. I don't know anything about VPN, but it's like the radar dectector vs. cop thing. Each side has to update to keep up with the other. Don't feel safe with Peerblock or BTGuard.
    Last edited by spacey; 11-06-2010 at 09:25 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    I'm on win 7 and peerblock works fine, I'm in the u.k if that's any use.
    On xp i used protowall with blocklist manager to update the lists, it worked great also. Somebody isn't reading the Instructions carefully.
    It's irrelevant its a laptop. It keeps them damn edu's links and spying out of my pc.
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Waddafocky's Avatar dvd BT Rep: +1

Guys, this thread is over 10 months old...
    Last edited by Waddafocky; 11-06-2010 at 10:02 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    waste of time man...much better apps.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by spacey View Post
    Peerblock does not work. Maybe it used to, but my experience after using it for only 2 weeks was a termination from an ISP. It was definitely on at the time and updated every day - we're talking a 10 min lapse of removing a finished seed.
    Which trackers did you download from?

I used the $7/month btguard version 2.0 socks5 with encryption dht disabled of course, which seemed to work for 3.5 yrs for me, then ended up in a termination.
    SOCKS proxies will only work for outgoing connections, not inbound ones. If another peer somehow finds your real IP, it's as good as nothing. Use a VPN to avoid that, as well as the routing tables trick, if necessary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast