Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does peerblock work?

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I never saw the point using peerblock or any of those other programs when you can add a block list to utorrent manually that does basically the same thing without having another running program. You can download the blacklist from Bluetack directly at http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/nipfilter.dat.gz This list is updated daily, and contains known Anti-P2P organizations, trackers,peers,and Goverment/Military IP addresses.

Download, extract and rename the file to “ipfilter.dat”

Then put it in utorrent AppData folder in "Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent"

Then in utorrent preferences go to the Advanced tab and set “ipfilter.enable” to true.

Restart utorrent and check the log to see if it worked. ATM mine says [2010-11-06 1237] Loaded ipfilter.dat (250632 entries)

Honestly it took me longer to write this post than it does to implement.

Also you can sign up at Bluetack and get individual lists and such. It's a good helpful site really. I know you can add this list to Azureus also but I'm not sure how.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    I never saw the point using peerblock or any of those other programs when you can add a block list to utorrent manually that does basically the same thing without having another running program.
    I used this method in uTorrent, also. My favorite list is uIpfilterX, which you can find here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ed2k-ipfilterx/files/

I know you can add this list to Azureus also but I'm not sure how.
    http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Safepeer_Migration
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Thanks bud. I wonder which list, as I'm sure there are more then 2 out there, Is better? By better I mean updated more frequently/more thorough like.

EDIT: as of now the ipfilterx was updated oct 13 and AFAIK Bluetack is updated every day.
    Last edited by Detale; 11-06-2010 at 05:14 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    EDIT: as of now the ipfilterx was updated oct 13 and AFAIK Bluetack is updated every day.
    Supposedly, Bluetack's list is updated every three days, but the uIpfilterX may not need to be renewed so often because it focuses on blocking "real" and confirmed harmful IP ranges. That's why it's so small.

If you feel like trying, this site offers many blocklists from different places:
    http://www.iblocklist.com/lists.php

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Why did you say "real" harmful ip's?

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    With "real", I meant IPs that have been actively spotted monitoring swarms or uploading fake torrents by the IpfilterX team.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Ah, well that's what the boys at Bluetack do as well man they collect this data and add it every day from what I've read. Again I'msure there are many groups of people doing this same thing out there.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Thanks for the info Detale. Never liked using an extra program, but this is a nice way to have a basic blacklist
    Took me all of 2 minutes, downloading included!

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Still I wonder which is the most up to date and accurate list out there. The search begins!

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    From my recollection, these lists block a majority of IP ranges including some large datacenters who may currently or at one time hosted an anti-p2p or corporate customer. They are aggressive about add large blocks to the list and thus end up doing more harm than good. I would only resort to a blocklist if you have to download from a public tracker.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123