Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building Custom Comp

DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    sound card - depends on how tight the budget is, hardward sound cards are fairly expensive, and they won't save you a massive amount of processing power like graphics cards
    the benefits are 5.1 and fast music encoding
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Cygnuz-Y+11 October 2003 - 01:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cygnuz-Y @ 11 October 2003 - 01:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@10 October 2003 - 22:09
    wat&#39;s wrong with onboard sound?
    Onboard sound takes resources from your mobo, if you want a high performance PC you need to have all apart, its just like onboard GFX card, t sucks and let me tell you YOU COULD NEVER GET THE SOUND QUALITY OF A SOUND BLASTER WITH ONBOARD SOUN NEVER [/b][/quote]
    I love hearing all this crap about 32-bit, 64-bit etc sound cards. Anyone got any 32 or 64-bit sounds? All the wav&#39;s I&#39;ve seen have been encoded at 16-bit (except for a few 8-bit ones), for the simple reason that you don&#39;t need much better than that for PERFECT sound reproduction. The only difference it makes is in the number of concurrent voices.

I used to have a Sound Blaster card, but my current motherboard has a sound processor built in, and the quality is just as good. But guess what, it is configured in Sound Blaster mode. Note that. Sound Blaster mode. Not Sound Blaster Emulation mode. Creative Labs licensed their technology to quite a few chip makers, so that in many cases the onboard sound processors are just as good as the original Sound Blaster cards. Creative Labs don&#39;t care, they get money for doing nothing.

These sound chips operate in exactly the same way as separate sound cards (I&#39;m not talking about midi cards now) so they do not take any additional resources from your motherboard or processor, in fact with the latest offerings being built directly into the South Bridge chip, they actually take less resources. The newest mobo&#39;s are also offering Dolby 5.1 sound quality - is anyone seriously suggesting that the Dolby name would be permitted to be used with inferior products?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    BANNED
    not to mention if the integrated on-board sound card IS sound blaster...

DWk

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    What the hell is music encoding??? Converting a cd to MP3?? Whats ripping a DVD? people make it seem HARD..i would think there would be a prog that you could do all that in like 1 or 2 clicks...
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Black Ops,

Is this a preconfigured "custom" PC or do you get to spec it?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by Black.Ops@10 October 2003 - 19:22
    ASPIRE X-DREAMER CASE 350 WATT W/ WINDOW
    [BLUE] 12" COLD CATHLOD NEON LIGHT SOUND ACTIVE
    SONY DW-U10A DUAL FORMAT DVD-RW/DVD+RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE
    AMD?ATHLON?64 3200+ CPU CAG102
    AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS
    1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE
    Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM ATA 100 8MB Special Editon
    Microsoft?INTERNET KEYBOARD
    1024 MB PC2700 333MHz DDR MEMORY
    (BLACK) ViewSonic?E90FB 19 INCH .22H MM SVGA MONITOR
    GigaByte GA-K8N Pro nForce3 Chipset 800FSB AGP8X w/LAN,USB2,IEEE,&Audio
    Logitech MX500
    Microsoft?Windows?XP HOME EDITION
    AC97 3D WAVE ON-BOARD SOUND CARD
    ALTEC LANSING SELECT 251 5.1 SUBWOOFER SPEAKERS
    STANDARD 2 USB PORTS + 2 EXTRA USB PORT CONNECTORS
    ATI RADEON 9600 XT 128MB DDR AGP 8X W/ TV-OUT & DVI

its bout like &#036;1700 USD , i got the cash and i know i gotta wait for the graphics, but what do you think so far? (it wil mostly be used for gamin...like cs and hl2(free copy ) and stuf
    my spec can KICK your spec&#39;s ASS

and i didn&#39;t spend over 1600 canadian dollars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12