Thread: Bonehead Makes Big Mistake

redinflorida
    I did a really stupid thing and I'm sure I'll hear about it. I had a couple of adult beverages and certainly didn't have my thinking cap on. I downloaded an activation crack for XP turbotax, loaded it in Safe Mode and guess what. I can't boot now, all my computer does is try to boot, I get a small XP screen for a nanosecond and then the system reboots. Its an endless loop. I try to go in through Safe Mode and get the same thing.

Anybody got any solutions, appears boot record is screwed up. I have tried to go into Restore Console, but it asks me for Admin Password and I think I am putting the right password, but it won't take it.

Do I need to reinstall XP to solve problem?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Double Agent
    yes

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I'm not much help when it comes to this type of thing, but can't you use a boot disk to get back on track? If you haven't got one there's a site called bootdisk.com that'll let you d/l one for free.

If all else fails, there's a site called www.lurkhere.com, where they'll give you good and trustworthy advice, but don't mention P2P or pirated progs. They don't approve of stuff like that; just say that your little brother did it or something

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    A boot disk won't likely help him because when you get to the spot where it asks you if you want to repair it will ask you for your admin password right after it.I had the same prob and it kept telling me that my password was wrong.It is a problem with XP.If you search on Google for something like "admin Password" you'll find a topic about it somewhere. He will have to re-install.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Rescuer
    Err.....Correct me if I am wrong but didn't he say he can't get his computer to boot up?..... Well if that is the case then how the hell is he gonna go to the sites mentioned in the thread? Not everyone has access to second or third computers
    Well it's just a thought.
    Re-install mate, you will be glad you did. Your machine will run better and you will have learned a valuable lesson

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by Rescuer@12 October 2003 - 21:34
    Err.....Correct me if I am wrong but didn't he say he can't get his computer to boot up?..... Well if that is the case then how the hell is he gonna go to the sites mentioned in the thread? Not everyone has access to second or third computers
    Library