Thread: System Shield

MusicChick's Avatar Poster
    Does anyone use System Shield or ever heard of it? If they have I was wondering if its any good.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    You talking about This? if yes you can use Spyware Guard is freeware and do the same things .

SpywareGuard - detect spyware programs

SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against so-called spyware. It works similar to an anti-virus program, by scanning EXE and CAB files on access and alerting you if known spyware is detected. If this is the case, it initially blocks access to the file and then allows the user to select an action. SpywareGuard provides a fast scanning engine, signature-based scanning, heuristic/generic scanning, a control panel, and an online-update utility for downloading of definition updates. It does not replace your anti-virus protection, but instead detects programs that may cause privacy concerns. The list of detected programs includes AdBreak, AdultLinks/LinkZZ, Brilliant Digital, CommonName, Cytron, FreeScratchAndWin, FriendGreetings, HighTraffic, HotBar, IEDisco, iGetNet, Lop.com, MoneyTree Dialer and others.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    MusicChick's Avatar Poster
    No this is different. It is by the same company as system mechanic. System Shield

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    yes i use it i have never had any problems with it

its been on my old comp for over 8 months no problem.

now on my new one no problem using xp home/pro.

Basically when you delete anything of your comp

it leaves a mess this program cleans it up

and can also make data recovery impossible?

not sure about that last bit

with new tech who knows

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    From Iolo Site:

Identity and information theft is a very real threat, and deleting data or even formatting your hard drive is just not enough to protect your data from thieves.

Contrary to popular belief, anything and everything you have installed, used or even just looked at on your PC is still there. Deleting a file isn't enough. Deleting a whole directory isn't enough. Removing files from your Recycle Bin isn't enough. Even formatting the whole hard drive isn't enough.

What is it?

In simple terms, System Shield was designed to protect your system from unauthorized attempts at recovering data that was intended to remain private or confidential.

How does it work?

Most people believe that when a file is deleted, it is permanently and irrecoverably "gone". The error in this belief is that it relies on some basic assumptions that are very far from the truth.

Realistically, the following must be true in order for a file to be irrecoverably deleted:

The data within it must not exist anymore.
    Any evidence the file ever existed must be erased.

One may ask the question "Well, if I’m deleting a file, aren’t these two requirements being met?" The answer to this extremely important question is a very grave NO.

As a matter of fact, the following is true of any file that has just been deleted:

The data within it still exists in its entirety on your drive.
    All evidence that the file itself existed is still very much intact.
    Using easily accessible software tools, the file can be instantly undeleted and viewed by anyone who has access to your computer.
    Obviously, this poses a very significant security problem, and individual PC users who do not wish their data to be accessible after deletion are not the only ones that are subject to this predicament. Businesses, schools, government agencies, and military institutions that frequently deal with extremely sensitive, private, and confidential data are also left wide open and vulnerable to all attempts at breaching security and recovering proprietary information. This information usually represents dire consequences should it "accidentally" fall into the wrong hands.

System Shield uses methods approved by the US Department of Defense (DoD 5220.22) to ensure that ALL files that have been deleted are permanently disposed of, beyond ALL possible techniques of recovery.

It works by proactively finding files that have been deleted (which will still remain on your system) and eliminating the data that was once held within them, as well as permanently erasing all evidence that they ever existing on your system in the first place.

What makes it better?
    Its methods work as an after-the-fact defense mechanism, which means that it processes the files that have already been unsafely deleted using the standard Windows deletion methods (i.e. send a file to the Recycle Bin and then empty it, etc.)
    One advantage of this approach is that you won’t need to rely on a third party "secure" deletion tool to enforce security. Simply delete files as you always have, and then use System Shield to periodically clean up what is left.
    Another benefit of this approach stems from the fact that many applications delete files internally without giving you a chance to send them to an external secure deletion tool. For example, most word processing software store temporary copies of the documents you work on in order to provide "undo" functionality. When you save changes to your document, the word processor internally deletes these temporary copies (which in most cases hold your documents’ data in entirety). This means that, without your knowledge, there would be several copies of your document on your drive, existing as insecure deleted files (i.e. easily recovered). The benefit of System Shield is that all of these insecurely deleted files are processed, regardless of whether you deleted them or if they were internally created and deleted by another application.
    It can be scheduled to run its cleaning operations on a regular unattended basis. Therefore, you never need to worry about remembering to clean up your system.
    It is completely safe: No standard files are affected, and no harmful mechanisms are introduced to your system.
    System Shield is compatible with all Windows versions (95, 98, Me, 2000, XP, etc.) and all Windows file formats (FAT16, FAT32, NTFS)

More info at http://www.iolo.com/ss/index.cfm

edit:It crashed on me when i ran it last time

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by MusicChick@11 October 2003 - 11:04
    Does anyone use System Shield or ever heard of it? If they have I was wondering if its any good.
    our school uses it........... its good....... we cant execute programs w/o SS authorizing it......... (at least, the people that dint boot with a win 2000 cd cant )
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it