Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ANDROID: Apps you can't live without

Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    So, who on this board is using android phones?

I currently have 2 handsets (the LG Optimus 3D and the ZTE Libra) and I find myself testing new apps all the time looking for something interesting/useful.

Here is a small list of those I can't live without:
    • Rom Manager
    • AppExtractor
    • ZDbox
    • Go Launcher
    • Dolphin HD
    • JaxtrSMS
    • Viber
    • Box
    • Friendcaster Pro
    • Tapatalk
    • imo
    • Pulse
    • Soundhound
    • Skydrive Browser
    • Swiftkey X
    • Tasker
    I have plenty more but these are the first ones I install after I flash each new ROM.

By the way, anyone buying stuff off the market sales? Bought Swiftkey, Soundhound, Minecraft and Reckless Racing so far. Best 40 cents ever spent.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Still using a Galaxy S

Besides all the Google must haves (Gmail, Maps, etc.) this is my list:
    • Barcode Scanner (for regular and QR code)
    • ES File Explorer (file browser that lets me browse Samba shares over WiFi)
    • Gauge Battery (lets me know how long I've been off the charger)
    • GPS Status (for assistance data download and other info)
    • Handcent SMS (would not do text messaging any other way)
    • MoboPlayer (handles EVERY video I've thrown at it, allows option for playing files using soft decoding methods when they aren't hardware compliant)
    • NPR News (for Car Talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and some Fresh Air interviews)
    • ROM Manager (obvious, but I've been sticking with Cognition)
    • Root Explorer (namesake's reasons)
    • SlideIT Keyboard (Prefer over Swype for language support and method of entering words into dictionary)
    • SoundHound (obvious)
    • Speed Test (for when I'm suspicious about network speeds)
    • SQLite Editor (for tweaking app settings not accessible otherwise and other info)
    • Titanium Backup (obvious)
    • Voice (Google product, but seemed niche enough to worth mentioning, primary voicemail management)
    • WiFi Manager (prefer over default)
    • Wikidroid (better interface than browser)
    • XBMC Remote (XBMC responds faster to this app than it does with my IR receiver, since I'm running it over Linux)
    Last edited by mjmacky; 12-12-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: added bullets
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Galaxy SII:

AdFree (Gets rid of Ads, a necessity with a market like this)
    aDosBox (Gaming, self-explanatory)
    Advanced Task Killer
    Andie Graph (TI-86 calculator on the go)
    androidVNC (Used to virtualize an sd-mounted Ubuntu usually)
    AndroIRC
    Barnacle Wifi Tether (Life saver!)
    Dropbox
    FPSe (PS1 Gaming on the go - currently FF3)
    Minecraft PE
    OnLive
    Plume (Most amazing functional twitter widget on the market)
    Pokemon Online
    Reddit is fun golden platinum edition (Using the widget with /r/science)
    Sixaxis Controller (For proper PS1 gaming experiences)
    Swiftkey X (Default Android keyboard blows)
    Terminal Emulator (Again, for virtualizing Ubuntu mainly)

Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    By the way, anyone buying stuff off the market sales? Bought Swiftkey, Soundhound, Minecraft and Reckless Racing so far. Best 40 cents ever spent.
    I've just grabbed Age of Zombies, Apparatus, and Great Little War Game thus far.
    I don't understand the people buying everything. I simply go for "interesting" games which I don't think are worth full price. GLWG is the only one that proved worth the 10c.
    Last edited by Quarterquack; 12-12-2011 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Ellipses go here.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    @Darth: have you tried baconreader for reddit? Pretty good app.
    Instead Adfree I use Absolute System Root Tools, pretty handy for some root customization too.

@mjmacky: ES File Manager is pretty good indeed to access Samba shares, and as far as I know it has the only decent player to directly stream video from those shares. For file management I use Total Commander though.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    @Darth: have you tried baconreader for reddit? Pretty good app.
    Instead Adfree I use Absolute System Root Tools, pretty handy for some root customization too.
    I tried baconreader based on your recommendation, but the inability to scroll through reddits from the widget (it only has time lapse updating) makes it useless for me. If they allow me to scroll reddits from my home screen, they can easily be my go-to reddit reader. Obligatory context screenshot:

Also, since my last post, I purchased SoundHound, Beautiful Widgets and Sketchbook Pro. Starting to feel like I got a lot of quality stuff for <$1.
    Ellipses go here.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    These are the apps I use the most:

• AdFree - in order to take care of all the nasty ads
    • Astrid Tasks - task management with sync to Google Tasks and a beautiful interface
    • Google Authenticator - I need this for 2-step verification on my Google and LastPass accounts (safety first!)
    • Documents To Go - in case I need to edit or look up a document on the go (happens to me a lot), the ability to connect to Google Docs doesn't hurt either
    • Dropbox - if I need to upload something and am in a hurry (don't really use it that much, but when I need it, it's invaluable)
    • File Expert - a fine file manager, has some advanced features which however I tend not to use
    • GNotes - if I need to take a note, love the fact that I can just scribble on it if in a hurry
    • RepliGo Reader - for viewing PDFs
    • Samba Filesharing - quick file transfer from and to the computer over wifi
    • SetCPU - helps me conserve a lot of battery by scaling the CPU usage
    • SSHTunnel - in order to protect myself from vulnerable wifi networks
    • SwiftKey X - a keyboard replacement, and a darn fine one
    • Titanium Backup - useful when flashing a new rom, so I can quickly restore all the apps I had before
    • Unlock With WiFi - so my phone doesn't lock itself when connected to the home wifi
    Last edited by Glaucon; 12-18-2011 at 12:54 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Another good one which allows me to individually control application permissions as they are requested, very much like it works on windows with UAC. Of course, you need root access.

Lbe Privacy Guard

unnamed.jpg
    Last edited by Cabalo; 12-18-2011 at 06:25 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    I notice all of you guy are onto the Swiftkey bandwagon. I haven't heard anything new about Blindtype since I saw the video awhile back, but this seems to be the spiritual rival of that app/implementation. Personally, I don't like to dual thumb my typing (maybe I would with a tablet for obvious reasons), so I'm sticking with the sliding type keyboards for now. If I ever snatch up a tablet, I'll know which typing app to grab, so thanks.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tombrady's Avatar Poster
    Adobe Reader
    ColorNote (adds sticky notes to your phone background with a long press)
    Google Goggles (good for barcodes, QR, and recognition of more famous buildings etc.)
    Handcent
    RingDroid (inphone ringtone maker)
    SeekDroid (for when someone steals it, or i can't remember where i put it)
    Soundhound
    Wolfram Alpha

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    I notice all of you guy are onto the Swiftkey bandwagon. I haven't heard anything new about Blindtype since I saw the video awhile back, but this seems to be the spiritual rival of that app/implementation. Personally, I don't like to dual thumb my typing (maybe I would with a tablet for obvious reasons), so I'm sticking with the sliding type keyboards for now. If I ever snatch up a tablet, I'll know which typing app to grab, so thanks.
    I never really liked the stock android keyboard, neither the customized one provided by LG. Heard good things about HTC's IME, which comes preinstalled on some ROM's I've used before, but never paid attention to it. Some people just can't use any other keyboard.
    It's easy to find the .apk at XDA, if you can't find it, shoot me a PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast