Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Osama Bin Laden.

BANNED
    I came across this interview whilst researching a related topic. It's very long, so I've not reproduced it here.

This interview discusses the reasons behind Osama bin Laden's actions. It appears to have been conducted before 9\11, and acts as a chilling prelude.

Please read the WHOLE interview before commenting, thanx.

Dr. Saad Al-Fagih

A Saudi Arabian dissident living in exile in London, he heads the Movement for Islamic Reform in Arabia. As a physician, he took part in the Afghan rebels' war against the Soviet invasion and explains the significance of that war for Muslims throughout the world. As a fellow Saudi dissident, he knows about bin Laden and his views.
    Interview conducted by Martin Smith.

The interview.

Edit: Fixed link, now goes to top of page.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@12 October 2003 - 10:16
    I came across this interview whilst researching a related topic.  It's very long, so I've not reproduced it here.

This interview discusses the reasons behind Osama bin Laden's actions.  It appears to have been conducted before 9\11, and acts as a chilling prelude.

Please read the WHOLE interview before commenting, thanx. 

Dr. Saad Al-Fagih

A Saudi Arabian dissident living in exile in London, he heads the Movement for Islamic Reform in Arabia. As a physician, he took part in the Afghan rebels' war against the Soviet invasion and explains the significance of that war for Muslims throughout the world. As a fellow Saudi dissident, he knows about bin Laden and his views.
    Interview conducted by Martin Smith.

The interview.

What do you think of it Billy. Presumably with this one you have an opinion.

Or is this another subject which means nothing to you and you just wish others to discuss it.

Oh and I haven't read any of it, other than the bit you posted. I still feel free to post, in spite of your instruction not to, is that OK.

Is this in it

Dr Saad al-Fagih explains the origins of Al Qaeda in the same way as FRONTLINE's unnamed source. It's not a secret organization at all. It was common knowledge to many people who went there. ... Al Qaeda was public knowledge. It was a record of people who ended up in Peshawar and joined, and move from Peshawar to Afghanistan. It was very [benign] information. A simple record of people who were there just to make record available to bin Laden if he's asked by any family or any friend what happened to Mr. so-and-so." Dr. al-Fagih continues "It's not like an organization--like any other terrorist organization or any other underground group. I don't think he used any name for his underground group. If you want to name it, you can name it "bin Laden group." But if they are using the term Al Qaeda ... Al Qaeda is just a record for the people who came to Peshawar and moved from there back and forth to the guest house. And moved back to their country."

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    BANNED
    Thanx JP, you can always be called upon to bring benign humour into these threads, where would serious discussions be without you?

BTW, I put those instructions in especially for you to ignore, you never disappoint.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    I, like JPaul, have not read the entire article. I particularly dislike it when there are so many [edited] bits, it implies that the reader cannot understand the original wording, or possibly that the original does not convey the message that the editor wants. Either conveys a distasteful slant.

It would be interesting to know why you asked people to read all of it, yet your link leads into the middle of the article not the start. Did you in fact want us to only read and react on that part, despite your comments to the contrary.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Poster
    As do you with the "you never dissapoint" phrase. Getting a bit old hat now don't you think.

Oh and we both know that was not the reason you put them in, though as ever your 20/20 hindsight is impressive.

I like this new idea tho'. Bin Laden just being tall, thin and misunderstood. Where do you get this stuff from. Do you trawl the internet looking for it.

What's your opinion on this one, I think it's drivel. Or are you sticking with the not giving an opinion in your own threads thing now.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    After reading this interesting and informative interview it looks like Bush and Blair
    have got us up to the neck in shit. I think we should pull out and recruit Saddam and co, they know the hairy arsed arabs better than we do.
    Man U fer eva

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    BANNED
    @ Lynx. I wasn't aware it started in the middle, I just copied the URL. Is there a way to change it?

As to the editing, I got the impression that maybe the guy's English was not that good.

@ JP. For someone who doesn't read articles, you seem to overflow with opinions. Am I now meant to take you seriously? Maybe if you were capable of reading other points of view without the benefit of your Nicene tinted glasses, you may one day arrive at an opinion of your own. I look forward to meeting it.

As to my opinion; I see this is another side of the story to the propaganda bullshit we are constantly fed by the so-called intelligence services. I also believe there is a lesson for the west to learn here, out of the mouth of someone close to the action. I believe the main points he makes, that US military bases in Saudi Arabia, and the shoring up of an unpopular regime, are the cause of most of the trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if this were one of the reasons the US has moved into Iraq. It will be interesting to see now how the US pulls out of Saudi Arabia, as they surely will.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster

More religious abuse. Ah the leopard and his spots.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    BANNED
    I think you'll find there should be a comma after "Ah" JP, otherwise it sounds like it's a leopard named Ah.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Why do you assume its Pro- Bin Laden?

It also criticises him, pointing out fundamental errors he's made..

You say that there would be sympathy because you want to expel foreign troops from your land. But ... was a mistake for bin Laden to declare that Americans or Jews should be killed anywhere in the world?

Many Muslims see this as not acceptable on two folds. Not acceptable Islamically. Because you cannot sanction the blood of any American or any Jew. You have to have strict conditions to sanction any human blood in Islam. And this is not acceptable. [Really any] average Muslim would argue against that. But there is the other reason for not accepting, the strategic [reason]. If you want to fight America, you have to present an acceptable argument. ... You have an occupied country. And when you say, "I want to expel Americans," your argument will be accepted. When you say, ..."I want to fight any American in the world," any ... average American would have negative feelings against you. Even if he is Muslim American sometimes. So that's why people say it is Islamically questionable as well as strategically questionable. ...

I can believe this guy is just trying to answer the questions put to him; the way he see's it......

Of course it will be biased, exactly the same as if you asked an American the same questions. However, if your not willing to hear what the problem is for the Middle East (or his section of it), then maybe your part of the problem.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast