Thread: Disabling Uploads

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about all this RIAA business, like everyone. Thinking about disabling my upload file sharing to prevent detection. Would DEFINITELY feel guilty about it though. I'd feel like I was taking from others but not sharing. I read somewhere that RIAA and it's little "spider" spyware are incapable of infiltrating K-Lite. Is this true or false? I'd like to keep sharing my library with others. Comments?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    With port 1214 disabled, blocked ip's, inability to see how much and what kinds of files you share you're quite safe, so please, don't stop sharing.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Doesn't that slow down my download speed? So how do I block my ISP?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Is port 1214 already blocked in KazaaLite and is the ip already blocked? Do I have to do this myself? How?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Doesn't that slow down my download speed?
    No, it does not.

So how do I block my ISP?
    That you don't do, because there is no reason in doing so.

Is port 1214 already blocked in KazaaLite and is the ip already blocked?
    Port 1214 is automatical blocked by K-Lite.
    Bad IP ranges are automaticaly blocked by K-Lite.

Do I have to do this myself?
    Yes, if you want to make K-Lite do it automaticaly. (K-Lite can reject thoes IP's but only if you check a certian option)

How?

Click: Options->Kazaa Lite K++ Options, in this window check the "Block Bad IP RAnges (eg.RIAA).
    Also you want to keep the IP list up-to-date so click: Tools->IP Blocker Update, and in this window click Check Updates.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Atumn Fox@12 October 2003 - 21:12
    Click: Options->Kazaa Lite K++ Options, in this window check the "Block Bad IP RAnges (eg.RIAA).
    Also you want to keep the IP list up-to-date so click: Tools->IP Blocker Update, and in this window click Check Updates.
    This is no different than updating your anti-virus software (which you should also be doing...) to keep 'bad things' from accessing your computer.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Definitely don't stop sharing or you're letting them win !!!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Thanks Sparkle! Armed with this new info, I won't turn my upload off. P2P rules!

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Hypnotised@13 October 2003 - 18:37
    Thanks Sparkle! Armed with this new info, I won't turn my upload off. P2P rules!
    Also be sure to limit your max uploads and max upload bandwidth so it neither slows your downloads down nor offers <1 KB/sec average upload speeds to others.

In general, lower max uploads is better -- with even 5 being &#39;a lot&#39; for most broadband connections.

You&#39;ll NEED to know what your connection is rated for (by your ISP) and what it can actually DO in KL++ to determine what upload bandwidth setting to use.