Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would U Go To War If Your Country Was Threatened ?

War is the very last course of action, and should only be waged if all other forms of negotiation have failed and it is necessary for the safety of the country.

I'm from Scotland
    I'm with Lamsey and he is very rarely wrong about things like this and it's even rarer for me to agree with him!!!

I'm also from Scotland BTW.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by BigMouse@13 October 2003 - 13:18
    I'm with Lamsey and he is very rarely wrong about things like this and it's even rarer for me to agree with him!!!

I'm also from Scotland BTW.
    The implication here being that I'm rarely wrong, you rarely agree with me and therefore you're rarely right?!

Needs some further thought

3. Lounge   -   #13
    The implication here being that I'm rarely wrong, you rarely agree with me and therefore you're rarely right?!

Needs some further thought
    Just because I'm not a brainiac like you. Some things make sense to me my way and then you confuse the issue with your way. I'm not a thinker I'm a doer, once I know what I'm doing I put it into action wheather I understand it or not.

Anyway why aren't you at uni?? Or are you using their comps.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by BigMouse@13 October 2003 - 13:52
    Just because I'm not a brainiac like you. Some things make sense to me my way and then you confuse the issue with your way. I'm not a thinker I'm a doer, once I know what I'm doing I put it into action wheather I understand it or not.
    I was extracting the urine

And I'm not at uni because my Maths lecture finished at 1 and my next lecture doesn't start till 4, so I came home for lunch.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    War rarely achieves much that is any good. However, I think, like most people, I draw the line at people invading my country. I would therefore fight.

I don't think "interests" are a particularly strong case though and certainly galloping off around the world simply to get further up the economic pecking order is no justification for war.

Assisting an old friend being put upon by a third party is however probably justified.

I am also Scottish. (Quite a lot of us on here for such a small nation).
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. Lounge   -   #16
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Biggles@13 October 2003 - 08:55
    I am also Scottish. (Quite a lot of us on here for such a small nation).
    Yes, a good number of you, and I find the repartee of uniformly high quality and the participants to be of agreeable and amenable mien.

I wonder why you think this is true.

I cheer you nonetheless.

I would fight for my country, and I would be inclined also to defend my allies; I would, however, do this only in accord with principles some here don't think I have.

I am not of the "My Country, Right or Wrong" crowd.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Alucard1475's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by hooked@13 October 2003 - 20:39
    fuck war
    fuck ppl who make war

netherlands
    Exactly my thoughts. Wars suck!! Innocent people die for no reason.

Would U Go To War If Your Country Was Threatened ?
    No I wouldn't but I'd protect my country from it.

Aussie

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    Depends on who is "invading" my counrty.

If it's an army of beautifull babes, i'll probably join them.........

Any other "agressor" is welcome on my part.....

Anything better then our current government.........

I'm from holland.

Yogi

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Forum Star
    well i hope i dont do too much damage to Scotland's image here j2k4

but i have to say, although history isnt my forte - neither is current affairs for that matter, that i'd really have to think long and hard before going to war. i have heard some real horror stories from friend's who have served their country, and now their lives and obviously those of their families will never be the same. some of the worst i have heard are not only about the fighting itself, but also the 'clean up' that follows.

in short, my personal (though not well informed) view of recent war's/conflict's is that they have perhaps been overwhelming. i dont mean to aim this just toward's American conflict's, those 'horror stories' came from Europe. i'm sure people will disagree with this, but as i said i know very little about the politics involved. so it's a gut reaction to say yes, i would fight for my country but only in extreme circumstances and for something that i believed in myself.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    J2K4

I presume you mean the "wars rarely achieve much" bit.

In certain cases wars are the lesser of two evils. WW2 was pretty nigh essential. Nazi scientists were not far behind the Allies in the developing the bomb. If it had not been for Telemark they may have beat us to it and won the war. Who knows where we would be now if that had happened.

However, generally, most wars simply sow the seeds of the next war. It is extremely rare to hear that a country is actively pursuing peace because a rival did so 30 years ago, but depressingly common to hear a country is set for war to rectify the wrongs (perceived or real) of a war of 30 years ago. It could be fairly convincingly argued that the failure to establish a just peace after 1918 laid the path (and put little shrubs and decorative statues along the sides) for Hitler to seize power on the back of the resentment caused.

One can think of any number of conflicts caused by endles retaliations down through the ages.

[In fairness to the Germans, the Kaiser did not actually think that Austria was going to start WW1 and went on holiday. He had to be called back when it all went pear shaped].

As instuments of foreign policy wars are can cause more problems than they solve. Winning the aftermath of a war is the really tricky bit and rarely achieved well. WW2 was a rare exception.

That said, nothwithstanding Sensualgardening's army of babes (is Shakira in there?), I do not want a foreign army marching up and down my streets. So I guess, as Country Joe and the Fish once said, "everyone has their limits."
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast