Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight btt clients

1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    What are some lightweight btt clients developed for Windows? I've used utorrent since the beginning, and know almost nothing about alternatives.

There's rTorrent, not sure if that's for windows, and it looks like it was made in DOS.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueSounds View Post
    What are some lightweight btt clients developed for Windows? I've used utorrent since the beginning, and know almost nothing about alternatives.

There's rTorrent, not sure if that's for windows, and it looks like it was made in DOS.
    rtorrent is a unix base, and there is diferent releases for different linux distros.

Also if you describe what your trying to do, I think everyone can help you more. Like for what reason do you want this lighter than utorrent btt client?
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 12-31-2009 at 08:26 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Check out Halite. That's what I used when I was on Windows. I think it's pretty good, and it's lightweight. Deluge is also on Windows(the client I use on Linux), and it's also a lightweight client. I've just never used it on Windows.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    b3owulf's Avatar facepalm.jpg
    uTorrent is probably most light BT client for Windows ever developed. There's Vuze, but it's JAVA based, BitComet but it's forbidden at a lots of places. Recently I saw a blog post about new Tixati client, idk if it's really that good, never tried it myself...

Review of Tixati

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Funkin', Deluge is a good client, but it needs GTK to be installed, which makes it as sluggish as Vuze sometimes.

You can run rTorrent on Windows via Cygwin.

I'll second Halite when it comes to lightweight. Are you looking for something portable?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I was looking for something that takes very little resources, for on a netbook. Would Halite be better than utorrent or is utorrent still one of the best choices for low cpu usage?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    I was looking for something that takes very little resources, for on a netbook. Would Halite be better than utorrent or is utorrent still one of the best choices for low cpu usage?
    Get xp performance edition and run utorrent.

I do it on a system with 64mb of ram that's ancient. I recently upgraded to 512mb of ram lol but it worked before...

And as \/ said utorrent is widely accepted at every tracker.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 12-31-2009 at 07:30 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    You may want to check Halite out, but I'd say uTorrent is still the king when it comes to resource usage, even if you have a bunch of torrents loaded. You also have the advantage every tracker allows it (although some block older versions).
    Last edited by anon; 12-31-2009 at 07:28 PM.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    Check out Halite. That's what I used when I was on Windows. I think it's pretty good, and it's lightweight. Deluge is also on Windows(the client I use on Linux), and it's also a lightweight client. I've just never used it on Windows.
    Linux wise, between ktorrent, transmission, halite or Vuze, what are your impressions?
    Have you tried rTorrent with the rutorrent frontend ?
    Last edited by Cabalo; 12-31-2009 at 08:01 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Well, I can't really give an accurate opinion as I haven't used Vuze on Linux yet. I'm waiting to upgrade my RAM to give it a go. With my amount of RAM Vuze bogged down my system on Windows, so I'd imagine it will probably do the same on Linux.

Transmission is a really lightweight client, and very fast. This was the first client I used when I first switched to Linux. And I ran it for about six months or so. I finally switched to something else because the interface and options in Transmission are VERY basic. If you don't mind a plain interface and not many options to mess with, then it's a great client.

KTorrent, I think, is pretty much a native Linux version of uTorrent. It's small and lightweight, and looks to have just about every option uTorrent has, and a few options that uTorrent doesn't have. Plus I like the interface of KTorrent much more than uTorrent. KT is a really good client. Probably the most feature packed and lightweight that I've used on Linux.

rTorrent, I still haven't gotten around to trying. The whole app just seems like a little too much of a chore to use(many I'm sure are going to disagree with me, but I'm not the best at using Terminal yet). If I ever do use rTorrent then it definitely will be with a frontend.

By the way, Halite doesn't appear to be Linux native. It may run under Wine though.
    Last edited by Funkin'; 01-01-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast