Thread: Network Card Name Needed!

My friend is getting DSL tomorrow. The problem is he does not have the network card, so we took a network card out of my old computer that I don't use anymore. We then proceeded to install it in his computer but it does not tell the name of the network card... I do know that it is the Netgear card, and that is all I know about it, when the computer starts up it says the card installed as an unknown PCI card so I do not know what type of drivers to download... Does anyone know how to find the name or model of a network card without having the booklet or box??

If anyone could help it would be truly appreciated because he needs DSL badly...

-- Davey

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Remove the card and look at it closely. Are there any markings that could help?

What version of Windows are you using?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    look for model # and use www.driverguide.com.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Put it back in your pc and then go into device manager and see what its called if you cant find ne markings on it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    it's called unknown pci device.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    download belarc advisor...there are also generic nic drives at some places...

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Take the NIC out of the PC and look at the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) and the silicon ships that are on that board. If it does not have a manufacturer's name (and/or product name) on it or the silicon chips, like Intel or Netgear, then look for a fairly long serial code somewhere on the PCB. Usually it's a bunch of numbers and letters. If you got that go to Google and search for it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by MadDog-2000@15 October 2003 - 05:18
    Take the NIC out of the PC and look at the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) and the silicon ships that are on that board. If it does not have a manufacturer's name (and/or product name) on it or the silicon chips, like Intel or Netgear, then look for a fairly long serial code somewhere on the PCB. Usually it's a bunch of numbers and letters. If you got that go to Google and search for it.
    Yup,that is the best way to go about it.It has worked for me int he past,it does take a while sometimes though but if you need the driver then it is worth it.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive