Thread: Keyboard Keys All Do Different Function

A friend of mine had me look at his computer and whenever I select an icon by double clicking with the left mouse button it opens up the properties window. Also all of the keyboard buttons don't do what they are suppose too. It's like somebody changed what all of his buttons do. Like the "a" button is the "alt" button and "f' is enter. I can't type at all either because all of those letters don't work but do other functions like I stated above.

Is this a virus that changed the key settings and mouse settings.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    if you can get a Run box open (try the Windows Key + R) and type main.cpl it will open the control panel applet
    for the mouse, see if the button configuration has been reversed.

to check the keyboard layout, run intl.cpl, go to the languages tab, and click on Details to check the
    default Keyboard input language.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    How can I enter those commands in run when I can't type? Can I open them with the mouse?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    yeah...they're in the control panel

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Oh I geuss I can open them with the mouse by going to the system32 folder.

The mouse buttons aren't reversed and the right one still brings up the menu selection. The left button opens up the properties page instead of open the folder or file. The left mouse button is set up for select. I think that when I use it it runs properties instead of run.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    It works.

I don't know why it started to work but here is what I did.

I opened up the main and intl files. I didn't change any of the settings since they were correct. I change some of the keyboard settings from English to Zimbabwa and back to English and then resarted the computer. Before I resarted I switched the PS/2 slot the keyboard was in and the USB slot the mouse was in. When it started up again it all worked fine and was typing correctly without errors when I would push 'a' and the File tab would open. Do you think that one of the PS/2 and USB slots was bad and could cause the keys to do different functions and the mouse as well?

Wierd stuff. I'm just gald I don't need to work on it any more.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    There is only one ps/2 slot for the keyboard, usually the one nearest the motherboard, and coloured purple. The other one (green) is for a ps/2 mouse. If you had the keyboard in the mouse port, I'm surprised it did anything at all, but it is not surprising that it screwed up the usb mouse.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.