Thread: Does Kazaa Help The Riaa?

At the risk of being called a complete retard by users around the globe, I would like to propose that Kazaa actually helps stop piracy.

Why do people risk life and limb boot-legging films or ripping movies, songs or DVDs?

The majority do so to make some money on the black market.

There are also millions and millions of "pirate" videos and music that people are risking a fine or jail buying them so they can pay less for it than had they brought it in the shop.

Why would people undergo such a risk when they can simply download the pirated files from kazaa?

So once upon a time the piracy industry was an industry in the billions, but gradually, thanks to programs like kazaa, there is less money to be made.

And if there is less money to be made, then the cost of being an underground pirate suddenly isn't worth the risk.

Kazaa is a means of people trading files freely amongst other users. If they are pirated videos traded, then the crime has already been done before they reach kazaa.

O.K, you can call me a retard now.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    *Grunt*
    Thats a good gesture, but unfortuatly the RIAA dont see it that way, to them its still illegal it does make sense though.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Double Agent
    someday kmd is gonna get into bed with RIAA and fuck all night

go to hell kmd

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Dont worry it will not happen!

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by Neo 721@15 October 2003 - 20:38
    Thats a good gesture, but unfortuatly the RIAA dont see it that way, to them its still illegal it does make sense though.
    The next thing will be on the news "RIAA are illagle"

Imagin they get shutdown or something.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    The RIAA will eventually get shut down. There are a ton of people sueing them and only 1 needs to suceed to take them to hell.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    geothermal78's Avatar Poster
    >>>Why do people risk life and limb boot-legging films or ripping movies, songs or DVDs?>>>

Yep, when I rip my friend's dvd onto my computer, boy am I risking life and limb. (^:

>>>The majority do so to make some money on the black market.>>>

You have never talked to a boot-legger before. There are many reasons to boot-leg, some money related and some not. Some do it just for fun and some do it for their girlfriend. My bicycle was recently stolen. I have no idea the reason's why they did it. It was fun, drug money, rent money, they wanted one for their kid brother, it was a challenge, etc....

>>>There are also millions and millions of "pirate" videos and music that people are risking a fine or jail buying them so they can pay less for it than had they brought it in the shop.>>>

Not entirely acurate. Some pirate videos are of live events that are not available anywhere else, so they are not doing it just to save money. Yes, there is risk, there is risk crossing the street or bicycling downtown. Driving a car is the most deadly thing most of us do. Yet, we still do it.

>>>Why would people undergo such a risk when they can simply download the pirated files from kazaa?>>>

No way of knowing. Some people get a high off of risk. Why do I rollerblade fast ? Risk = high Why do I rock climb ? Risk = high. It's a complex issue.

>>>So once upon a time the piracy industry was an industry in the billions, but gradually, thanks to programs like kazaa, there is less money to be made.>>>

There is still billions made on piracy, but it is on more tangible items like cars and boats. Just watch the show Sopranos to see what goes on. It's true that less people buy boot-leg videos and music on the street corner anymore.

>>>And if there is less money to be made, then the cost of being an underground pirate suddenly isn't worth the risk.>>>

Money is not always the object of piracy. Sometimes people dare other people to do stuff. Sometimes rich kids do it just for the heck of it. No money traded hands.

>>>Kazaa is a means of people trading files freely amongst other users. If they are pirated videos traded, then the crime has already been done before they reach kazaa.>>>

Well, what is your definition of piracy ? Mine is different than yours. If I want to buy a car, then I go down and test drive it a bit. If I want to see a movie on the big screen or buy it on dvd then I should be able to test drive it on my computer first. I download a small movie and it is about 2 inches by 5 inches or so. Then I watch "Treasure Island: Black Pearl" and it was a fun movie. So I then wanted to see it on the big screen and big theater set up. So that is what I did with my wife and friend. We all put eye patches on and got dressed up like pirates and had a blast. That is the way I do things. *smile

>>>O.K, you can call me a retard now.>>>

You are not a retard, just a newbie. *grin

ciao,

geothermal

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by geothermal78@16 October 2003 - 23:40
    >>>Why do people risk life and limb boot-legging films or ripping movies, songs or DVDs?>>>

Yep, when I rip my friend's dvd onto my computer, boy am I risking life and limb. (^:

>>>The majority do so to make some money on the black market.>>>

You have never talked to a boot-legger before. There are many reasons to boot-leg, some money related and some not. Some do it just for fun and some do it for their girlfriend. My bicycle was recently stolen. I have no idea the reason's why they did it. It was fun, drug money, rent money, they wanted one for their kid brother, it was a challenge, etc....

>>>There are also millions and millions of "pirate" videos and music that people are risking a fine or jail buying them so they can pay less for it than had they brought it in the shop.>>>

Not entirely acurate. Some pirate videos are of live events that are not available anywhere else, so they are not doing it just to save money. Yes, there is risk, there is risk crossing the street or bicycling downtown. Driving a car is the most deadly thing most of us do. Yet, we still do it.

>>>Why would people undergo such a risk when they can simply download the pirated files from kazaa?>>>

No way of knowing. Some people get a high off of risk. Why do I rollerblade fast ? Risk = high Why do I rock climb ? Risk = high. It's a complex issue.

>>>So once upon a time the piracy industry was an industry in the billions, but gradually, thanks to programs like kazaa, there is less money to be made.>>>

There is still billions made on piracy, but it is on more tangible items like cars and boats. Just watch the show Sopranos to see what goes on. It's true that less people buy boot-leg videos and music on the street corner anymore.

>>>And if there is less money to be made, then the cost of being an underground pirate suddenly isn't worth the risk.>>>

Money is not always the object of piracy. Sometimes people dare other people to do stuff. Sometimes rich kids do it just for the heck of it. No money traded hands.

>>>Kazaa is a means of people trading files freely amongst other users. If they are pirated videos traded, then the crime has already been done before they reach kazaa.>>>

Well, what is your definition of piracy ? Mine is different than yours. If I want to buy a car, then I go down and test drive it a bit. If I want to see a movie on the big screen or buy it on dvd then I should be able to test drive it on my computer first. I download a small movie and it is about 2 inches by 5 inches or so. Then I watch "Treasure Island: Black Pearl" and it was a fun movie. So I then wanted to see it on the big screen and big theater set up. So that is what I did with my wife and friend. We all put eye patches on and got dressed up like pirates and had a blast. That is the way I do things. *smile

>>>O.K, you can call me a retard now.>>>

You are not a retard, just a newbie. *grin

ciao,

geothermal
    Bless........