Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Founder of Oink music piracy site 'had $300,000 in bank'

Poster
    http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle6979380.ece

Something to think about the next time your favorite popular P2L site tells you they don't have money to upgrade the server or time to implement a feature (looking at you BitMeTV ).

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Here's the TF article:

http://torrentfreak.com/oink-admin-r...ations-100107/

I found this interesting:

After his arrest, the prosecution said that Ellis told officers: “All I do is really like Google, to really provide a connection between people. None of the music is on my website.”

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    7th's Avatar the brazilian guy BT Rep: +1
    Well, I don't really care about how much they have on their bank accounts... I'm sure the guys from bitmeTV (just an example) have to "invest" a lot of time on their trackers to keep things running the way it runs... some of them probably see this as a real job opportunity and so what?

The question is: who wants to do all that and take all the risk for free?

Sorry to say that but if you ever thought they do this just because they like it, welcome to real life!

If someone donates to a tracker, he does it because he is convinced that it is worth the donation...

now, if they lie about their needs, that's another question...

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 7th View Post
    That's sort of the point, right - Oink was lying about his needs by taking donations every month.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 7th View Post
    That's sort of the point, right - Oink was lying about his needs by taking donations every month.
    No he wasn't. Donations aren't the same thing as a membership fee.

When you run a site, which is a 24/7 job, and you put your ass on the line for the authorities (especially on a huge site like Oink), then I think you deserve some sort of compensation (though 300K is pretty crazy lol).

As for sites that don't need it, I've personally worked on a site that was hundreds of dollars in debt and came close to shutting down. Most smaller sites run a deficit each month, it's the large sites with tens or hundreds of thousands of members that have enough potential donors to get by easily.

Of course there's the other side of the argument where a site begs its members for donations and then the owner spends the money on an engagement ring. Or shuts down the site a few days later. Good times
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    7th's Avatar the brazilian guy BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roark View Post

then I think you deserve some sort of compensation (though 300K is pretty crazy lol).
    is it too much for risking your freedom? I don't think so
    if you say that those guys are crazy for keeping a tracker like that, that I could understand

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Slickerey's Avatar <3 FST BT Rep: +2
    OiNK's owner has a good amount of money on him. I wonder how much Feeling has...

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    John1988's Avatar ★★★Need help?Ask★★★ BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickerey View Post
    OiNK's owner has a good amount of money on him. I wonder how much Feeling has...

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickerey View Post
    OiNK's owner has a good amount of money on him.
    i'm afraid he doesn't anymore lol.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    They don't really specify if the money is from the donations/site though. Even if it is it's not a big surprise, taking into account the prominence of OiNK at that time...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast