Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Old Tip That Paid Off

Poster
    I know it's a part of common knowledge and it has been talked about because I have read and followed the advice before. That is to say turning off the built in firewall in XP results in better connection for downloads. But as I said it's an old tip and today I discovered that it was checked on. Now I have played with many a programs lately and alot of them were pc protection types. I can not put my finger on the culpret program yet but I know it used to be unchecked. I have also had all the slow file issues of late and it's so bad ( 10 min up and 5 hrs of nothing) that I read everything I could find on K-lite++ and it's settings. I tweaked them all, even had some help with k-dat from MM wich helped for a while, then back to same old crapping out. Then I thought I would double check the sytem settings and noticed the firewall was checked. So I uncheck my firewall and BAM all my dowloads will be done before morning...amazing speeds....like they were a month or two ago. Anyway check this setting again and if you find that it was checked even though you know you've been there and done that, don't worry, WE CAN BE IDIOTS TOGETHER

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    Where do I go to check this?

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    are u speaking of Windows internal Firewall? if so, then by default this feature has all settings OFF. and the speed will not neccessarily exceed if u uncheck "Internet Connection Firewall". I have tested ON and OFF, compared and found no difference, yet the trick is creating smart polocies for ur whole system, including the Internet Connection Firewall.

However, if u do uncheck that and u do notice a difference in speed (provided that u have tested it off course), then that's good/

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Grimlock@18 October 2003 - 16:14
    Where do I go to check this?
    Start>control panel>network connections
    right click on local area connections>properties>advanced

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Mr. Blunt's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by vader@6 October 2003 - 23:48
    I know it's a part of common knowledge and it has been talked about because I have read and followed the advice before. That is to say turning off the built in firewall in XP results in better connection for downloads. But as I said it's an old tip and today I discovered that it was checked on. Now I have played with many a programs lately and alot of them were pc protection types. I can not put my finger on the culpret program yet but I know it used to be unchecked. I have also had all the slow file issues of late and it's so bad ( 10 min up and 5 hrs of nothing) that I read everything I could find on K-lite++ and it's settings. I tweaked them all, even had some help with k-dat from MM wich helped for a while, then back to same old crapping out. Then I thought I would double check the sytem settings and noticed the firewall was checked. So I uncheck my firewall and BAM all my dowloads will be done before morning...amazing speeds....like they were a month or two ago. Anyway check this setting again and if you find that it was checked even though you know you've been there and done that, don't worry, WE CAN BE IDIOTS TOGETHER
    If you turn the Windows Firewall off, you gotta make sure your still running a firewall. Even if its a 3rd party one. It's better to be safe.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Unchecking the firewall will result in leaving your system open to hackers. It would be better to have the port your using in Kazaa...firewall access.

In windows xP left click on "Start", left click on "Control Panel", left click on "Network and Internet Connections", left click on "Network Connections", Right click on your internet connection, then on menu click on "properties". left click on "Advanced" tab, click on "Settings", click on "Add...". This is the "Service Settings" for your XP firewall.

You will see 4 places to fill in. Configure as follow...

1. (Type in "Kazaa TCP" without the quotes in the first window)

2. (Type in "127.0.0.1" without the quotes in the second window)

3. (Type in your port number that you are using in Kazaa in the third window)

4. (Type in your port number that you are using in Kazaa in the fourth window)

Make sure "TCP" is checked, then press "ok". Make sure that "Kazaa TCP" is checked in the "Advanced Settings" menu.

Do the same steps again for UDP...

You will see 4 places to fill in. Configure as follow...

1. (Type in "Kazaa UDP" without the quotes in the first window)

2. (Type in "127.0.0.1" without the quotes in the second window)

3. (Type in your port number that you are using in Kazaa in the third window)

4. (Type in your port number that you are using in Kazaa in the fourth window)

Make sure "UDP" is checked, then press "ok". Make sure that "Kazaa UDP" is checked in the "Advanced Settings" menu.

Your XP firewall is now configured for Kazaa. This is better then turning off your firewall completely.

I almost forgot... In Kazaa (btw, I'm talking about Kazaa Lite K++) in the "Filter" settings, make sure that you have the "Filter files I cannot download due to firewalls" unchecked. That should do it.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Mobas@18 October 2003 - 20:22
    Unchecking the firewall will result in leaving your system open to hackers. It would be better to have the port your using in Kazaa...firewall access.

Only if you don't run any firewall at all. I prefer to disable the xp firewall and run zone alarm. The xp firewall does not stop any outbound connections from your computer, unlike most third party firewall software.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    WTS 65 ranger 270 AA's rallos zeck full no drop la~

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I thought the windows firewall was just its way of disabling filesharing and didnt actually work like a true firewall anyhows.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Mobas,
    Thanks, I've been wondering how to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast